Community
FormIt Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FormIt Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FormIt topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Keep smooth surface from Fusion 360 to Formit?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
travis.designer.vn
1222 Views, 9 Replies

How to Keep smooth surface from Fusion 360 to Formit?

Hi

I do a lot of testing. Export Fusion 360 to Formit to Revit 2021.

They show result as below:

skp file from fusion 360 to formit to revitskp file from fusion 360 to formit to revitdwg from fusion 360 to formit to revitdwg from fusion 360 to formit to revit

image.png

Which format can Keep it smooth surface?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi @travis.designer.vn,

Sorry, this is a known limitation with Revit. We are working with the Revit team to fix this. In the future, FormIt's hidden edges will remain hidden when converted to Revit. Stay tuned!

Josh Goldstein
Product Lead
Message 3 of 10

@josh.goldstein thank for your feedback. 

Message 4 of 10

image.png

I think Autodesk create FormIt to support Revit which lack design tools. It's not make scene if I create model in FormIt, and they can not keep quality in Revit.

I think this is critical issue.

Message 5 of 10

We agree! As I mentioned, we're working on this. Thanks for your feedback, and stay tuned for more updates in this area.

Josh Goldstein
Product Lead
Message 6 of 10

thank @josh.goldstein  and Team FormIt

Message 7 of 10

@travis.designer.vn ,

I've just replied with a solution in the Revit Forum to your posting there about a Fusion to Revit workflow to hide the mesh edges and assign materials. This same workflow also works from FormIt to Revit.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/finding-work-flow-from-fusion-360-to-revit/m...

I don’t have Fusion to test the workflow between it and FormIt, but hiding the edges of faces can be achieved by changing an object to a mesh a vice-versa. There seems to be an angle between two planes that determines if this automatic hiding of edges occurs when converting object to mesh.  @josh.goldstein could you confirm?

- Luc

Message 8 of 10

@josh.goldstein 

In the following workflow described by Andy Milburn from the Shades of Grey blog, the trick of assigning visibility to the mesh in 3dsMax relies on exporting to DXF in version 2004. I'm wondering if this would work with FormIt mesh edge visibility, if you implement a 2004 version of DXF export as FormIt currently stops at 2007?

This could allow the graphic display of FormIt Meshes to import to Revit intact.

-luc

P.S. I've tested the DXF 2007 of FormIt mesh and object, and the visibility of edges is not retained.

http://grevity.blogspot.com/2016/03/be-gone-sharp-edges.html

Message 9 of 10

Hi everyone,

We released a new FormIt Add-In for Revit 2021.1 that addresses this issue. Smoothed or hidden edges in FormIt will now remain hidden in Revit 2021.1 and newer. Read about it here.

Enjoy!

Josh Goldstein
Product Lead
Message 10 of 10

Thank @josh.goldstein  and Team.

Finally Autodesk understand what designer expected... smooth

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report