Community
Forma Forum
Welcome to the Forma Community. Give feedback, report bugs, and tell us your ideas about Autodesk Forma
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model disappeared but study remains

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
RyanCameron
488 Views, 7 Replies

Model disappeared but study remains

During a design competition for Forma, I was modeling away on the tower design and did a sun study or other analysis tool and my original design disappeared. Gone. I definitely did not hit delete, twice, on two separate towers. Nor did I hit the undo (CTRL+Z) dozens of times to undo all the tweaks to make the angles work.

It is saved in the analysis study, however the modeling elements are gone. I checked to see if they got put on a "layer" somewhere but I don't think that's how Forma works. Maybe a data-drop?

Original.png

(below) I rebuilt it and granted, it does work better from a design standpoint, I'm more worried about the model loss and how it happened.

New.png

Also to note, my "Office" buildings went from light red back to white on the screen/model for some reason. They are still labeled office when I select them.

RB Cameron, AIA, LEED AP, EDAC
Digital Practice Leader

Labels (3)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Hi @RyanCameron,

Sorry about that, we certainly want to avoid losing your progress like this.

Can you tell us more about exactly what steps were taken before the buildings vanished?

It appears you modeled the towers in 3D Sketch, but were able to return to main design mode, then run an analysis on the 3D Sketch geometry, correct? Then after running an analysis, the buildings disappeared? 

Also, between your two screenshots, all 5 of the buildings seem to have changed. Did they all vanish and need to be rebuilt?

Josh Goldstein
Product Lead
Message 3 of 8

The two 3D sketch angled buildings disappeared and the 3 "rectangular line" buildings remained. After the two angled buildings disappeared I decided to delete everything and start from scratch.

Digital Practice Leader

Message 4 of 8

Can you tell us more about exactly what steps were taken before the buildings vanished?

It appears you modeled the towers in 3D Sketch, but were able to return to main design mode, then run an analysis on the 3D Sketch geometry, correct? Then after running the analysis, the buildings disappeared? 

Josh Goldstein
Product Lead
Message 5 of 8

Hi @RyanCameron .

Sorry to hear about what happened in your project. We take this seriously and would like to investigate what have happened from a technical point of view.

Could I get permission to access your proposal and look at the logs? If so, could you send a Direct message to me with a link to the proposal you had problems with?

Kind regards
Martin Hallén
Software Engineer, Autodesk Forma

Martin Hallén
Software Engineer
Message 6 of 8

Will do.

Digital Practice Leader

Message 7 of 8

Hi again @RyanCameron,

We've looked at the revision history of your proposal and determined the buildings were eliminated unexpectedly due to exiting 3D Sketch before 3D Sketch was fully loaded. 

We'll get this fixed asap, and I'll report back when it's addressed. In the meantime, it's worth letting 3D Sketch fully load before returning to Design mode until we fix this.

In good news, we can create a duplicate of the proposal before this happened so your data is restored. Can you confirm if you'd like us to do that?

Josh Goldstein
Product Lead
Message 8 of 8

We've fixed the issue where exiting 3D Sketch before it's fully loaded could result in data loss, console errors, and/or a bad camera state in the main Design mode. 

Thanks again for reporting. Let us know if you'd like us to make a copy of your proposal to restore the lost data, as I mentioned previously.

Josh Goldstein
Product Lead

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report