Community
Forma Forum
Welcome to the Forma Community. Give feedback, report bugs, and tell us your ideas about Autodesk Forma
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generative Tools not found?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
okozlovskii
1190 Views, 11 Replies

Generative Tools not found?

All the tutorials I found show generative tools (Explore tab in the upper right corner, next to Analyze tab) allowing AI to quickly generate some options for the site. However, when I opened Autodesk Forma, there is only Analyze tab and no Explore. Does Autodesk Forma offer generative tools, or were they cut? 

Also, you really need to keep your learning library up-to-date with your interface changes. 

Note: this post was revised after the rebranding from Spacemaker Next-gen to Autodesk Forma

Labels (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Hi, and thanks for your interest!

It sounds like you are working in a Autodesk Forma project, but the tutorial you came across covered the functionality from Classic projects. Autodesk Forma project beta gives the most accurate preview of the future of our product. We realize the two project types might be confusing, and should be making it even more clear what project type the learning material refers to.

I confirm that the Explore functionality is not supported in Autodesk Forma projects. With Autodesk Forma, we are rebuilding our product on a new foundation that we are confident will - over time - make it far better in terms of customizability and interoperability with other design tools. However, we have not yet gotten to the point of building generative features in Autodesk Forma to solve the same problems that Explore solves in Classic. Doing so is high on our list, but making sure we do it well takes a bit of time.

We are currently focusing on the Line Building functionality, which is planned to serve as the foundation for generative features in the near future. While Line Buildings on their own is not a generative feature, they do combine very quick and easy drawing with customization (e.g. in manually drawing floor plans) that far exceeds their counterpart in Classic projects. If you find it worth your time to test out designing with Line Buildings, we would love your feedback! We think the way to make great generative features in Autodesk Forma will be by first making Line Buildings work really well. User feedback is invaluable to us in this effort!

I know this doesn’t really help you in getting generated suggestions for your site now but I thought I would give you more visibility into the direction we are taking. I hope you will still find it interesting to try Autodesk Forma projects. It would be great to hear your thoughts as we continue improving it over the weeks and months to come.

Regards,
Espen

Note: this post was revised after the rebranding from Spacemaker Next-gen to Autodesk Forma

Message 3 of 12

So if I understand correctly, the trial version does show all the functionalities a paid version would have?

On YouTube it looks like Autodesk Forma can generate building based on input. If it cant do that I don’t understand the added value to developers. 

Message 4 of 12

Hi Bjorn. The paid version has the same capabilities as the trial one. The video you watched, may refer to the classic version of Autodesk Forma which is not available anymore for trials. We are only featuring Autodesk Forma for trial users because that's where we are investing our development resources.

Message 5 of 12

Sorry to hear! What is the reason that all these functionalities won’t be continued? To me that seems to be the core value of the software, at least for developers. 

Message 6 of 12

@espen.k.w.wold provided a detailed explanation above. 

"Doing so [developing generative design capabilities] is high on our list, but making sure we do it well takes a bit of time.

We are currently focusing on the Line Building functionality, which is planned to serve as the foundation for generative features in the near future. While Line Buildings on their own is not a generative feature, they do combine very quick and easy drawing with customization (e.g. in manually drawing floor plans) that far exceeds their counterpart in Classic projects. If you find it worth your time to test out designing with Line Buildings, we would love your feedback! We think the way to make great generative features in Next Gen will be by first making Line Buildings work really well. User feedback is invaluable to us in this effort!"

What do you think @bjorn_burghardt about our efforts to create automations in line buildings? An example would be to apply standard floor plans to the line buildings automatically. 

Message 7 of 12
RCarmodyTF42Y
in reply to: okozlovskii

The generative design aspect was by far the most promising aspect of this program. Quite unfortunate that it has been delayed.

Message 8 of 12

Honestly, this is a major disappointment to us as a developer. I started a new project in classic mode, and there was a message that I cant change or make new projects in classic mode from october? Honestly, I don't even see the point in paying for this now. AI generated site analysis is what we need. We dont have time to draw different proposals and test sun, wind etc. Only volumes generated by AI is what we need. Please explain and provide a timeline for when the AI generated volume study will be featured in the forma. Thank you.

Message 9 of 12

Hello everyone, we've now released the first version of our first feature in this effort! Check out the update in this news article. Note that this is the first release, and we'll continue to develop the feature to meet the user's needs. Please have a go at the feature in our product and tell us what you think. How can we make Explore work better for your projects?

Ragnhild Frøyen Milter
Senior UX Designer
Message 10 of 12

Ragnhild Frøyen Milter
Senior UX Designer
Message 11 of 12
2689kingsway
in reply to: okozlovskii

This is amazing! Thank you for this! Very excited and looking forward to seeing updates!

Message 12 of 12

Hi again! We have just released an update to our Explore feature, which now lets you generate roads and vegetation together with your buildings. Try it out - we'd be thrilled to hear what you think!

Ragnhild Frøyen Milter
Senior UX Designer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report