Flame Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Flame Family (Flame, Flare, Flame Assist, Lustre) Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Flame topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac GFX playback drops

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
whiggs
996 Views, 15 Replies

Mac GFX playback drops

tried all kind of setting Broadcast monitor off , HDMI, NDI all sync free in setup , audio turned off etc but I still get playback drops and according to the playback UI its coming from Video GFX drops . Any ideas I am on Mac Studio with 128 gb Ram and an M2 Ultra

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
slabrie
in reply to: whiggs

Hello whiggs!

What is the refresh rate of your display? 

Stéphane Labrie
Senior Product Owner
Flame Family
Message 3 of 16
whiggs
in reply to: slabrie

Hey Stéphane,

I realized I didn’t have nice set to fill disc access and I rolled back NDI to 4.7 instead of 5 and I now have good playback so not sure which of those is the culprit but it seems all is good in playback world after those adjustments 

Message 4 of 16
whiggs

I think I figured it out finally!!! If you have a studio display that is what causes the drops I still had flame set to single monitor but the playback would drop no matter what , cached , uncached , super low Rez didn't matter. If I set the Broadcast monitor to HDMI and use the Apple Studio Display as viewer it playback fine no drops if I set it NDI or even no broadcast display I get drops. It's very strange and annoying . I have done multiple tests , new users, same project and this is the only thing that gets the drops to stop.

Message 5 of 16
slabrie

Hello whiggs!

What is the refresh rate of your display?

Stéphane Labrie
Senior Product Owner
Flame Family
Message 6 of 16
whiggs

I don't see a way on the studio display to adjust the refresh rates Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 12.49.36.png

Message 7 of 16
whiggs

from what I am reading the default is 60 

Message 8 of 16
slabrie

From what I see on web, it is 60Hz, which is the right value for our products.

Stéphane Labrie
Senior Product Owner
Flame Family
Message 9 of 16
whiggs

Its a mystery but trust me I have tried every setting combination , proxy, cached, file format etc anything I could throw at it and this is the only thing that makes playback decent , I am happy to work with you on this because this has been driving me insane since the shows have come back and this is an all new setup for me , so let me know if you want to login or upload logs etc but its been a real pain on my end to at least come to this 

Message 10 of 16
whiggs

still don't understand it , but its almost like a frame code mismatch or something but it happens a lot more than just this , start of the video is HDMI then I switch it to no broadcast and the drops start happening after a little while of playing , the track is pretty simple HD clip, but it happens on low Rez offlines as well (1280x720 8 bit) . My stone is raided nvme and project is set to prores 444 and exr piz. I haven't ever had issues like this on the linux but like I said this an entirely new computer and monitor with the exception of the Eizo is older. 

Message 11 of 16
slabrie

Could you open a support ticket so we could get more data about your system?  Should be easier than over messages here.

Stéphane Labrie
Senior Product Owner
Flame Family
Message 12 of 16
whiggs

Case has been opened , thank you.

Message 13 of 16
slabrie

That was quick!  Thanks a lot and we will let you know the outcomes.

Stéphane Labrie
Senior Product Owner
Flame Family
Message 14 of 16
whiggs

Just wanted to update in case anyone else has this issue , but it appears it comes from dual monitor setup when the monitors are different in this case different resolutions 5k and a 3k monitor , the issue I was having is I was making the lesser resolution monitor my primary . This creates various issues and once I did a bunch of various tests if I make my primary the higher resolution display the issue goes away. Hope this helps anyone else who ventures down this path.

Message 15 of 16
jeffrey.ramirez

Thanks @whiggs for updating this thread. It'll surely help the community.

Regards,

Jeff

Message 16 of 16
slabrie

Thanks for the update Bill!

Stéphane Labrie
Senior Product Owner
Flame Family

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report