Community
FeatureCAM Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FeatureCAM Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FeatureCAM topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread from path option does not have number of start threads option

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Aadithya01
508 Views, 5 Replies

Thread from path option does not have number of start threads option

Hi Guys,

Wanted to reconfirm if this is true. 

There is a specialized multi start thread requirement for one of our prospects which can be accomplished only by using the thread from path option of FeatureCAM. 

But I found out that the parameter for defining the number of start threads is not available in the thread from path option. 

Untitled_123.png

Does feature support multi start threading for the "thread from path" option ?? 

Labels (4)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Erick-Pires
in reply to: Aadithya01

Hello Aadithya01, how are you?

I think this can help you create what you want.

Best Regards Erick

Message 3 of 6
chrisdavid605

I had an apps guy show me how to access the hidden attributes once via a macro command but i seem to have lost my notes on that. Maybe @kelbie.ockey has some info on how to access those back end functions.

Message 4 of 6
kelbie.ockey

I'm not aware of any creative macro-based solutions here, but I do have someone internal in mind that is a general macro wizard. I will see if this rings a bell for them at all.

All that being said, Erick seems to be pointing out the same thing I would point out - the difference between thread from path and curve cross-section options.

Curve cross-section is the traditional method used for custom threads. As the name implies, you want one single thread cross-section sketched, and then you can input overall pitch, thread length, etc. This option should be used when you want a custom thread defined along a constant diameter.

Conversely, the thread from path option is to be used when the actually desired threads are standard, but the path they follow is not a constant diameter. This video will hopefully help illustrate the difference.

Custom cross-section threads allow you to input a number of start threads. Far more often than not, I see customers wanting this option and not the thread from path option. The dialog is confusing, so first I recommend confirming which curve-based thread option you want, as this might solve the issue right there. 

If you are wanting the thread from path option, let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.

Kelbie Ockey
Sr. Implementation Consultant
Message 5 of 6
kelbie.ockey

I figured I would just add what is probably the best solution for if you want to use the thread from path option:

1. Copy and paste the desired feature
  2. Navigate to the dimensions tab of the duplicate feature
  3. Determine the following: pitch * entry #
  4. Add the value to the z location and thread length
  5. Ensure the feeds and speeds reflect the desired output

I think I broke my brain for the day going over this. This should work great, but if you think I messed up the math, lmk. It wouldn't be the first time I got something wrong and publicly stuck my foot in my mouth. 

Kelbie Ockey
Sr. Implementation Consultant
Message 6 of 6
Aadithya01
in reply to: kelbie.ockey

Nice @kelbie.ockey , I will try it out and will let you know by today. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report