Community
FeatureCAM Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FeatureCAM Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FeatureCAM topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface milling

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
818 Views, 14 Replies

Surface milling

Hello,

I cant send out a example but i need to mill a 1 inch square area with a .250 dia ball endmill. i need the tool to be angled at a 30 or 45 degree angle from the surface, the surface finish is 125. the square also has 2 corners that are rounded to .018, Someone showed me something about this but i dont have the information anymore. can someone help as i have tried everything i can think of and it doesn't work. the machine is a Mazak Vortex 5 axis mill.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

hi ,

take a look at those two way to do this

the easyest way is by vector (fixe)

for the radius edge you can do this with vertial

i hope this can help you.

vector.PNGvertical.PNG

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

Richard, Thank you for the reply but i do not see those options when i program the surface milling, i do have 5 axis programming on in the setup, maybe thats a function of the post processor? Any ideas on how i can see all the items you posted?

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

you need Ultimate to do this

do you have it?

if yes ,you just have to activate 5axis in you stock properties and go to indexing and activate 5 axis

Message 5 of 15
wmtcoinc

Not sure if this works for you, but I machined a square cornered pocket on my 5 axis like this using swarf milling and a 60 degree tapered end mill .0005 end Diameter. I had to add fan surfaces to control the lateral movement and force the tool to move up and down in Z on the corners.   inside 90s.png

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

I do have 5 axis on and i have ultimate, not sure if the post supports this. under indexing it says 5th-axis positioning is on. 

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: wmtcoinc

That wont work for what i am trying to do, i need the tool to machine the surface at a 45 degree angle

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

it should be better for me to understand what you mean if you send me an example of your program

regards

Message 9 of 15
wmtcoinc

Creating a new setup at the 45 degree angle you need and than create the milling feature you want in it should work. I do that to when 3D milling on a 4th axis rotary.

Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

RichardLagace, i cant send out anything, i think you have the solution, i just need to figure out how to get those options you showed. if you do this, draw a square on the X-Y plane with Z at a 45 degre angle and try to machine the square with a 125 surface finish, I can machine the square at 90 degrees but i create another setup so the tool will machine at 45 degrees and it doenst work. so if you can figure out how to setup Feature cm so i can do this?

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

you can do this with a setup at 45 deg,no problem

just clic on generate a single program for all setups  under indexing in stock properties

regards!

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

Too all, i have contacted Sheila Cullers and i will send her my post processor that i use with Featurecam to see if it is really a 5 axis post.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

Tried it, i get, "unable to find any features from the surfaces"

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

I have tried everything i can think of, cant get it to work

Message 15 of 15
chris.coleQDYFL

Hey, Joel.

Sheila got in touch with me, and I will be sending you something via email a little later on today.

Thanks!

Chris Cole
Senior Solutions Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report