Community
FeatureCAM Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FeatureCAM Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FeatureCAM topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DFS Turn: I want to turn a part with two "setups"?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
charlie.hopper
527 Views, 6 Replies

DFS Turn: I want to turn a part with two "setups"?

Hello All,

I want to turn this part in a HAAS MiniMill with one chuck and one turret.

Capture.JPG

I need to hold the stock by the head end, turn the shank, then have the lathe stop so I can flip the part end for end, hold by the shank and then turn the head. I created two setups, each one with Z paralell to the part axis and pointing out relative the end it on which it was placed.

The first setup simulates correctly but doesn't pause before continuing with setup 2. Also, in the second setup simulation, the tool ignores the second setup orientation and tool comes in to the part backwards (still oriented as if its using the first setup Z orientation).

How do I get the lathe to pause between setups so I can flip the part?

How can I get the tool to pay attention to the second setup orientation so it comes into the part using the second setup's Z orientation?

TIA

Charlie 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: charlie.hopper

You could edit your post to put an M00 in your code between your different set-ups.  M01 is an option as well except you will have to have your option stop switch on your controller on.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 7

Hi @charlie.hopper,

Similar to FeatureCAM, you can create a toolpath feature to add nc code,  in DFS by selecting the setup, right click and select 'Add NC Text'. It will open a window in which you can type M00 or M01 and place the feature last in the setup1. It will print M00 or M01 in nc code after all the operations of that setup.

Hope that helps.

Thank You.

Abhishek
Message 4 of 7

Thank you. That helps with one part of my two questions. The other questions
was why if after creating a second turn setup (using the opposite end of the
stock with Z pointing out from second end, ( 180 deg opposite from setup
one), when simulated, the tool does come in to the stock in the correct
direction towards the 2nd Z end but the tool has not turned around. It still
oriented the same as in setup1 (and of course crashes). Without using a
second tool, is any way to get the tool to orient correctly for setup 2
operations?

Charlie
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Do you have an option to select main spindle during the setup creation?

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Check turret/spindle selection on your setup. I had what you are experiencing happen once even when everything was correct, as a glitch... But that was over a year ago.

Message 7 of 7
TomOliver

I occasionally have this problem as well. If I understand you correctly, Featurecam wants to select backturning tools for the second setup or start in the body of the part and work to the end (non chuck side/tailstock if  you have one). I have fixed this problem a number of different ways. However, I can't say for sure that any of them are definite answers. My experience tells me that it's an order of operations problem. I usually try to create all of setup1 (curve1 and turn1) before even creating setup2. After creating setup2, I will then create the curves and turn operations to go along with them. Here are some possible fixes.

1. Make sure turn2 is in setup2.

2. Make sure setup2 was highlighted when turn2 curve was selected.

3. Make sure setup2 was highlighted when turn2 feature was created.

4.Highlight setup 2 and create a new curve and a new turn feature.

5.Checking sub spindle/main spindle can sometimes cause this problem.

6. Lastly, if I start over and be diligent about my order of operations, the problem usually doesn't happen again.

Tom

Inventor Professional
Autocad LT
FeatureCam Ultimate
Fusion 360

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report