Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual Studio 2017 Support

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
5448 Views, 14 Replies

Visual Studio 2017 Support

When will FBX SDK for Visual Studio 2017 be available?
Tags (1)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
vincent.haubruge
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Cloudss,

This is not on our current roadmap.

Bests regards,

Vincent

Vincent Haubruge
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: vincent.haubruge

Is there any further news regarding support for Visual Studio 2017?

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

Just curious, what kind of support are you looking for?

It certainly links just fine. I use VS 2017 to build a tool that links against the 2015 version of the SDK.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

Ah I didn't realise, I just assumed that because the library file was in a vs2015 folder it wouldn't work with a newer version of VS.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll use that for now.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

If you want to link static with Visual 2017 and/or don't want the VC++ 2015 runtimes because your project should not base on 2 different runtimes an FBX SDK linked against a native VC++ 2017 runtime would be great tbh.

And I don't think it would be too hard to create by the Autodesk FBX SDK team.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

Though using the vs2015 toolchain (and therefore visual studio c runtime) is a somewhat viable workaround, it's not preferable because C++ is moving pretty quickly nowadays, and continuing to use an old toolchain locks your program out of features, improvements, and bugfixes in the more recent compiler builds.

If you do forward your program toolchain to the newer version and attempt to link a vs2015 pre-built library into a vs2017 compiled program, you end up with multiple instances of the c runtime running the process at once.  This in turn can create classes of bugs that it's best to not be saddled with.  One example of this is multiple instances of the C++ default heap allocator (per-runtime).  This means that an object allocated via the vs2017 c runtime's 'new' can't be freed by a call to the vs2015 `delete`.  Each runtime allocates it's own heap handle via ::CreateHeap (or does it's own heap allocator).

Typically updating a library to a new version of the compiler and runtimes involves minimal effort, so having the existing release made available when a new release happens is ideal.

Having used FBX in an open source engine for a couple years now FBX tends to be the last pre-built library to make builds for recent compilers and runtimes available.  Putting this on the roadmap would certainly make FBX a more attractive competitor to what is becoming a more alternative-rich arena.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

Thanks, all. It sounds like I'm probably guilty of this double runtimes problem. Unfortunately my project is completely built around C++11, so I don't see any option but to continue as-is. The alloc()/free() problem sounds potentially very bad (although less so in a command line utility such as mine, that just starts up, does one thing, and then terminates).

I will add a strong vote for an updated SDK. I'm going to want to embrace C++14, C++17, C++20 and C++23 as well. 🙂

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

Why is this a hard thing to do?  I volunteer to do it, if that is what you need.  It *should* just be a recompile, right?

And why is this not on your road map?  Are you trying to kill FBX?

Message 10 of 15
regalir

If you are on the Autodesk Beta Program (https://beta.autodesk.com), you can register to the FBX project where we just posted the libraries from the next version of the FBX SDK (2019) compiled for Visual Studio 2017 (note that we have only uploaded the Windows Desktop version - the WindowsStore is not available).

As said earlier in this thread, we don't have a release date in mind yet so this is *NOT* an official statement about when/if it will be publicly released. The purpose of the Beta Program is to provide members an earlier release so they can test and provide feedback allowing us to improve the product until its official release and being an alpha version, we cannot guarantee that everything will works flawlessly.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: regalir

I appreciate this thread is quite old now, but are there any plans to release FBX SDK (2019) compiled for Visual Studio 2017 any time this year?

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: regalir

I looked in the beta area, and there is nothing to download for FBX, at least for me.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

Noticed the same, some weeks ago there was still the 2019.2 beta with VS2017 support. But this is suddenly gone.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

Looks to me like the 2019 SDK has been released, but with VS2015 as the most up-to-date supported IDE. 😞

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

The 2019.0 SDK is released for a long time already. The beta version which had a VS 2017 compiled was 2019.2.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report