Community
EAGLE Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s EAGLE Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular EAGLE topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to delete outline from imported design block

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
kkingsbe
701 Views, 8 Replies

Unable to delete outline from imported design block

I am creating a PCB which I am attaching multiple breakout boards to. I created footprint design blocks from the Eagle files listed on each parts product page (they are all from Adafruit). I then brought these design blocks into the schematic for the PCB I am designing, and when I switch to the board view I am able to delete the outline from all but one of my imported design blocks. When I try to select & delete the outline from this design block Eagle just makes the error noise and nothing happens.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
one-of-the-robs
in reply to: kkingsbe

Are you sure that one was truly a design block and not a library footprint? It's not uncommon for people to draw on the dimension layer of a library footprint, even though it's usually the wrong thing to do. If it is, you need to open the library (possibly involves creating one by exporting first!) and move that outline to, say, the tDocu layer.

Message 3 of 9
kkingsbe
in reply to: one-of-the-robs

I downloaded the schematic & board files from the website and used those to create my own footprint design block, deleting everything except for the dimension layer in the board view. Could it be that when they were creating the board file they drew on the wrong layer? I can upload the schematic/board/designblock file if needed.

Message 4 of 9
one-of-the-robs

Uploading the file is ALWAYS ten billion percent more useful than a screen shot.

They haven't "drawn it on the wrong layer" in the board. If it's not in the dimension layer then it's not a board outline and you don't have a problem. If it's drawn in the board then you should be able to select and delete it in the board, and you don't have a problem.

As I said, I suspect the "board" you downloaded for this one actually just contained a single library component, and that outline is drawn in the footprint. But having the actual file available will allow someone to confirm or deny that.

Message 5 of 9
kkingsbe

Here are the .sch and .brd files that I downloaded:

Message 6 of 9
kkingsbe

Ohh I see now! Since this board is a part of the Adafruit Featherwing line of boards, it looks like Adafruit just has a general design block for featherwings which the rest of this board was built off of. I'll just download that file and use it in my PCB instead.

Message 7 of 9
kkingsbe

Surprisingly, that didn't fix it either. When I bring in the featherwing design block from the Adafruit library I still get the same issue. Attached are my .sch and .brd files so you can view the said design block.

kkingsbe_0-1644156292000.png

Message 8 of 9
kkingsbe

I see now that I am able to edit the library components. Problem solved

Message 9 of 9
one-of-the-robs

Excellent news! As you have found out, the board you uploaded makes use of a library component that defines an outline for the module type. This is good if you're designing such a module but a real pain if you're not.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report