Community
EAGLE Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s EAGLE Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular EAGLE topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving point of origin to the center of component

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
AndreasMark
1581 Views, 9 Replies

Moving point of origin to the center of component

Hello,

What is the easiest way to move the point of origin in the center of the component?

AndreasMark_1-1602182986349.png

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
AndreasMark
in reply to: AndreasMark

Message 3 of 10
rachaelATWH4
in reply to: AndreasMark

@AndreasMark wrote:

What is the easiest way to move the point of origin in the center of the component?

The easiest and only way to do it is fix the library part as it's been created badly. Sadly lots of the "free" libraries are full of things like this.

Once you've corrected the library you'll need to update the part in the design which will of course cause the part to shift as it will move to keep the origin in the same location.

Best Regards,

Rachael

Message 4 of 10
AndreasMark
in reply to: rachaelATWH4

"The easiest and only way to do it is fix the library part as it's been created badly. Sadly lots of the "free" libraries are full of things like this." - Yes, I know this.  And this is the reason...because I am facing with this thing because some people want to have the center point at the center of the component.

The question is: what are the easiest ways to shift/correct that center point from the library (where I created the footprint for my component) to the center of that component? (because I know that I need to correct this from the library, but what I am interested in is to know how to do that in a simple way)

Exist some kind of ULP that does this automatically?

In fact, I am interested to do that automatically and to avoid as much as possible need of making this manually because this is going to spend some pretty time...

Thank you.

Best regards.

Message 5 of 10

You can't move the origin of the footprint editor - origins are fixed by definition - but you can easily move all the contents of the footprint.

- Open the library editor and open the offending footprint

- Show all layers

- Using the "GROUP" command, select everything (draw a box round the whole drawing)

- Activate "MOVE" then <Ctrl><Right-click> where you want the origin to be

- Left click at the current origin.

This should do the trick for you.

Message 6 of 10

Hi @AndreasMark 

there is no tool or feature available in Fusion to do this fully automatically, sorry.

But I could imagine to use a ULP for this. The ULP had to calculate the center of the footprint and then move the all objects to the origin. ...... 

There are the mount*.ulps that calculate the center of a footprint before exporting pick and place data. It's done by taking the centers of the contacts in x and y direction and calculating the center of this area then. 

You could take this as a basis and add  the MOVE to (0 0). You could even make the ULP go through all footprints in the library. 

Just an idea.... 

Regards,

Richard Hammerl

Autodesk
Message 7 of 10

Yes, you are right with this solution and I know it.
But what I want is to do that to match exact coordinates, and not manually which implies some sort of errors or approximations.
For example:

AndreasMark_0-1602229893845.png

This is a simple illustration, but think about what can happen if the complexity becomes greater...then the calculations of the origin point becomes not so gladdening.

Thank you.

Best regards.

Message 8 of 10

So, someone should write a ULP to do this.  I might get around to it, but not today.

Just to be clear the problem I have with the group move is that it must be done with the mouse.  You can't type in a position (if you know how to type in a position for a group, please let me know).  And dragging anything complicated around on the screen is error prone (even assuming your grid is set so that you can put it where you want it), if you are off by a few mil and don’t recognize the problem before going on to your next task it becomes even harder to fix after the fact.

A trick I use that makes the manual process somewhat workable, at least for me, is to put a little dot or a tiny circle in the middle before you start moving things around.

Message 9 of 10

@KennethOfLeesburg wrote:

Just to be clear the problem I have with the group move is that it must be done with the mouse.  You can't type in a position (if you know how to type in a position for a group, please let me know).

I don't know whether this is still true of Fusion but in Eagle you absolutely can type in a position for the group.

Eagle commands take coordinates "as if" that's where the mouse is clicked. The coordinates can have a modifier to mean "right click", which is the > symbol. So for the OP's problem:

group all;
move (>0.12345 0) (0 0);

moves everything left by 0.12345 units.

Message 10 of 10

hate to bring back a dead thread but this did EXACTLY what I was looking for and likely what OP was looking to do as well. thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report