Community
EAGLE Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s EAGLE Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular EAGLE topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Eagle retired?

175 REPLIES 175
SOLVED
Message 1 of 176
CE3Electronics
26535 Views, 175 Replies

Is Eagle retired?

Hi,

I just had the most stressful conversation with sales.  I went to buy another Eagle Premium license and they said it was a discontinued product.

Is it true that Eagle has merged with Fusion to the point that the Eagle software will no longer be available?

Please help.

175 REPLIES 175
Message 121 of 176
tkornack
in reply to: matt.berggren

I'm happy to hear that you're at least thinking in a somewhat detailed way about this. This is all correct; but you are missing two key pieces:

1. The data may only be accessible by US persons. (Your global development team cannot access the data in any way, even if they tried/wanted to.)

2. The physical location of the data must only be accessible by US persons. (That's govcloud.)

Message 122 of 176
jakymiwm
in reply to: CE3Electronics

Sorry for the question, but there are so many drawn-out comments.

Is traditional Eagle dead?

Message 123 of 176
CE3Electronics
in reply to: jakymiwm

Hi @jakymiwm 
The short answer is no, the longer answer is maybe eventually.
Basically, this post I made over a year ago now was meant to show the developers how much the traditional Eagle software is important to PCB designers.  In essence the more push back there is, the less likely they are to retire it entirely.  I believe the community for the most part enjoys the new features, but they don't like the manner in which it's smashed with Fusion and would like the developers concentrate on making that part more seamless.  Basically, if fusion was part of Eagle, and the end user doesn't even notice it's happened, then the job has been done right.  Similarly, they also want more control over where the information is stored, and whether an online connection is even required.  Through this forum, I am very hopeful that the developers are hearing the concerns and taking them seriously.

So, to re-iterate what developers have been saying. No Eagle is not retired.  But the unspoken part is, it likely eventually will be.  So we need to make sure it's done right.

I really enjoy all these replies on my post, it really shows how large and multifaceted the community is.

Message 124 of 176
Anonymous
in reply to: jakymiwm

If "Traditional Eagle" means a standalone product you can buy (not rent), and if it runs on Windows or Linux, and if you expect a traditional software purchase where you own a legal copy of the software at some revision level - yes that's all dead and buried at this point unless Autodesk changes course.

The only way to enjoy the traditional Eagle experience is to have a copy of 7.7 (Last version while it was still CadSoft) and some sort of installer license key for it. You will have to look elsewhere for that.
Message 125 of 176
fjen3N85H
in reply to: CE3Electronics

While I fully understand the migration to Fusion 360 Electronics, will there at least be the chance that Autodesk releases a small hot fix to fix EAGLE compatibility with MacOS Big Sur and subsequently Monterey?

Message 126 of 176
bbourbin
in reply to: fjen3N85H

>While I fully understand the migration to Fusion 360 Electronics, will there at least be the chance that Autodesk

>releases a small hot fix to fix EAGLE compatibility with MacOS Big Sur and subsequently Monterey?

What type(s) of compatibility issues have you been seeing with EAGLE 9.6.2 and MacOS X Monterey? We have been using this configuration for some time now, and haven't noticed any different issues. We've haven't started a new project on Monterey, but we've made several revisions and manufactured PCBs using this OS on MacBook Pros (though just so far on Intel version. We are about to move to Apple Silicon).

B

Message 127 of 176
fjen3N85H
in reply to: bbourbin

Personally I’ve been hesitant to upgrade to Big Sur+ since my entire professional workflow relies on EAGLE 9.6.2. I’ve read threads on absolutely subpar performance BigSur+ on Intel Mac’s:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/eagle-forum/reminder-eagle-still-doesn-t-work-very-well-on-macos-big-...

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Fus...

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/eagle-forum/big-sur/m-p/10490241/highlight/true#M34756

which would affect my day to day workflow significantly. Has this not been an issue you’ve noticed on Big Sur / Monterey?

Message 128 of 176
RitchieParis

Hi, 

I did it and it works but more slowly.

Best and have a good luck

Message 129 of 176
fjen3N85H
in reply to: RitchieParis

Good to know it still works! How bad has the slowdown been for you? Still useable?

Message 130 of 176
bbourbin

We are working on the latest Mac OS X Monterey release, and using EAGLE 9.6.2, and haven't really noticed any performance hit on Intel MacBook Pro hardware. We do have 64GB RAM and high-end i9 8-core machines, so that might be contributing to what we are seeing.

B

Message 131 of 176
RitchieParis

Very slow when you move components and especially group.

I don't use Eagle and Fusion anymore at this time, I prefer wait If there will be a big update, in my own view Eagle and Fusion can't to be use for a very important and professional project at this time.

I use DIPTRACE now.

I hope that there will be very soon this update so awaited, apparently yes but qaund? I don't know.

Message 132 of 176
jesper8W75R
in reply to: RitchieParis

@matt.berggren 

Hi Matt, it's been a while. A long while actually. A long while, where f*king NOTHING happened.
Excuse the language, but I'm (as many others) a bit pissed off.
I was so impressed when we had the zoom call, and we went through the list of 27 bugs that I found by just using Fusion for 2 days or so.
27 bugs, of which most probably still are there, I honestly don't know, as I haven't used Fusion Electronics for a couple of months.

Anyway, this post is about EAGLE. So don't twist the discussion to Fusion.

EAGLE - The good old EAGLE that once was an awesome tool, but which you managed to mess up with the stupid library handling and the slowdown on OSX Big Sur, which made it totally unusable.
And it still is. NOTHING has happened.
Dude, I paid for that program. From YOUR company. 
WHEN are you going to fix it?

A lot of promises in our zoom call, but I guess you work at the lying department, sorry, marketing department now and not engineering anymore.

I am SO f* disappointed.

Message 133 of 176
Anonymous
in reply to: jesper8W75R

Actions speak loader than words. Eagle is gone.
Message 134 of 176

I tried Fusion and it looks good.
Is it possible that the current slowness of Fusion is due to its dependence on the internet?
You can't always have a good internet connection. Perhaps there should be the option to always save files locally, and the cloud should only be used to create backups.

Message 135 of 176

@Dandy.Chavez wrote:

always save files locally, and the cloud should only be used to create backups.

While many of us consider that to be the only sane approach, it appears to be inconceivable to Autodesk. Rather as supporting a Linux version is.

Message 136 of 176

I dont think EAGLE will retire although the standalone software is not getting the updates in a manner that we expected. There is too much focus on the fusion 360 than EAGLE and for us the lovers of EAGLE will not loose hope. We will keep waiting for a better EAGLE.

Message 137 of 176

I won’t. The only reason I even bother coming to this forum now is that my paid-for, utterly useless, Eagle app still has an active subscription. When it runs out, I won’t renew, and a decades long attachment to Eagle Pro will be over.

Never in my life have I been treated with such contempt by a company. There has been no development visible on Eagle in over a year. A year that they have been happy to take my money. This is utterly shameful on Autodesk’s part. A more credible and honest company would have simply said at the start that they were end-of-life-Ing Eagle in favor of Fusion 360 and rebates would be available. Autodesk, by their actions, just don’t care.

Message 138 of 176
losob66590
in reply to: tinkercadXSL49

The owner of our company said that it is completely unacceptable that the data on which the survival of his company depends should be placed somewhere in the cloud that you can turn off at any time, terminate support, etc. The data must be accessed for decades. In that time, fusion and its associated services may long since be gone.
We are looking for other software.
No one really cares about 3D shenanigans and crap like that. We design electronics, we don't make color presentation videos for management.

Message 139 of 176

I totally agree with you Eagle and Fusion are definitely dead...

What a pity...Such a waste

Message 140 of 176
tkornack
in reply to: losob66590

We've all tried to explain this, and Autodesk has heard us quite clearly and the answers (earlier in this thread) are also quite clear that the cloud plan will not be changed.

Kicad is not a bad alternative; Horizon EDA is actually delightful.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report