Community
EAGLE Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s EAGLE Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular EAGLE topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building library with part no. with various VALUES to Stock codes

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
infoledeco_sk
599 Views, 6 Replies

Building library with part no. with various VALUES to Stock codes

Hi, we are struggling with creating our Library / devices and filling up information for every "VALUE" a "stock codes " as reference to our stock management system. We just want to create stock informations for each device possible Value (say resistors 0805 : Value  100R - stock code 010545, Value 220R - stock code 155250, Value 1K - 158887, etc etc...so when we have our schematic finished, generating BOM will include these our exact stock code informations into the BOM directly....otherwise every revision is taking incredibly too much of post procesing time (Openning BOM, and searching for the values and including the stock codes is taking so much time with every BOM revision)

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: infoledeco_sk

I just wrote an answer to another question, maybe this will help you. 

Adam

Message 3 of 7
infoledeco_sk
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi, thank you for kind of solution. If I understood right, you created different packages to resistor thick film device.....maybe for you it is solution, but what If you want to keep in your library just one "footprint" (because of tweaks in footprint later will be good to keep just one footprint)...so having just one footprint (for 1 type of size of resistor offcourse) this could be not suitable I guess.... I just need one footprint in 1 device, and then a Multiple Values to select, where I could enter (in library) a individual stock code with each value. Then in schematic I could just simply select the value for each component , and BOM will be generated with our exact stock codes for selected values...

As we are working with both internall and external developers, it is hard for us what "components are prefered to use" if they do not have list of stocked components....  

Is there any solution to achieve this?

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 7
jesper8W75R

Having a package for each value is an odd way of doing it.
Another way would be to have a device for each value, so you have a 1k device, a 2k2 device e.t.c. 
Each device using the same symbol and footprint. 
But that is also messy.

My solution is to add attributes when I create the component (ic's, diodes, transistors and so), that holds the manufacturer, manu part no, distributor and distributor part no.
Then my BOM ULP automatically fetches those fields and add it to the BOM.
For resistors, the ULP can parse the "usual"  values like 4700, 4k7, 4.7k and variants.
It then creates the "real" part number from that. (I use Digikey as supplier and exclusively use resistors from Stackpole Electonics, as their resistor numbering is well-defined. Also, the Digikey part # version is well definined.)

I once made board for a client who used parts from a fixed part library. 
These were numbered like 040301 or so. This partnumber was in a database together with ALL information about that part, description, price, distributor, manufacturer e.t.c. 
The database was maintained by a program, which name I sadly have forgotten.
I created a new component library that contained an attribute for PARTNO, and printed that on the symbol under the VALUE. It was then easy to see both the real component value as well as the special partno.
It was a little extra work to add the partno, but not much, and it paid well off later.
I could then autogenerate BOMs that had ALL details about the part, total price for the # of assemblies e.t.c.
Ready to order. Pretty neat.

Message 5 of 7
infoledeco_sk
in reply to: jesper8W75R

Hi, seems you created sort of similar system that I am looking for, is there a chance to find out what software you have used to maintain rthe informations? Can you provide screenshots of "what you did in Eagle" and how it was generated to BOMs?
Thanks, I believe this feature should be implemented in Eagle natively, seems to me very basic functionality if company is holding a stock and wants the developer to use their compoennts to develop new designs (Recent solution works well only for "developers" who can write anything to the part numbers, disregard the comapny has such component on stock or not (developer often do not think about "using the same compannet again and again" to optimise the price of the design, on the other hands, if company has on stock thousands of say 0603/100nF/50V , the designer has always about 10 different other combinations of components he will use for his design, rather than to use this one .  

Message 6 of 7
jesper8W75R

I did not use any program, I use use the EAGLE attributes.
I add a NAME = "Digikey" and a VALUE = the Digikey part #
My BM ULP then extract that to the BOM CSV.
For resistors, the ULP "translates" resistor values to Digikey / Stackpole part numbers.

Message 7 of 7
infoledeco_sk
in reply to: jesper8W75R

The software I asked name for was "The database was maintained by a program, which name I sadly have forgotten"

Any chance of some additional informations how to do what and where?...extra work is fine, if it will help me to generate hundrets of BOMs, with parsed/predefined stock codes, supplier part no. etc , so  I will never have option to define value which is not in our library  

(I am not that much skilled in the Eagle, so might need little more informations)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report