This block doesnt work as it should

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
341 Views, 2 Replies

This block doesnt work as it should

Hi all!

I would like to have a rectangle with 3 initial sizes wich can be set by a lookup table.

I would like to stretch the box in the first two initial state with 0,21 step increments, and the third one with 0,16 increments.

I have made two seperate incremental distance parameters for this and i have made them exchangable by the lookup table. I mean in the first two states the 0,21 parameter would be at the box with its grip, and the third one is way below, and at the third state they would be swapped. I know the grip of the lower parameter will still be visible but it doesnt matter this block will be used in a viewport so it wont be visible. Maybe i can cover it with a wipeout boundary later.

But if someone knows a more elegant way i am open to it!

Problem is: In theory it should work, but in practise nothing. At all 😄

I dont know why, but in the first state, it seems working right. On the second one, the steps are messed up althought the grip get in good placement. If you look in the block editor, the preview marks of the increments are good. So in theory if the initializer parameter stretches the 0,21 steps parameter it should be good at in any initial state.

On the third one, its a disaster because i dont know why, the 0,21 parameter grip doesnt want to go down. IThe 0,16 grip comes up without any problem. so it should be working. I know the 0,16 grip is a bit off because otherwise the two grip would cover each other if the 0,21 doesnt go down.

What is the problem in this block? Why the 0,21 steps doesnt want to go down?

Why are the steps messed up in the second and third initial states?

Can I solve this more elegantly?

Thanks in advance if someone  can help me.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Libbya
in reply to: Anonymous

I would just use 3 visibility states, one for each linear parameter.  No need for a lookup or changing parameter positions, etc...

The 0.21 parameter doesn't go down because you created the linear parameter backwards.  The first point you select when creating a linear parameter is a base of the parameter.  When a linear parameter value is altered by a lookup, the base does not move, the end point does.  The move action that is supposed to be moving the 0.21 linear parameter is associated with the base of the 0.21 changer linear parameter so when the changer value is changed, the move action is not activated because the base does not move.  One easy way to tell the base vs. end points of a linear parameter is to turn on one grip.  That grip will always appear on the end point which is the point that is moved by a lookup changing the linear parameter value.

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Ah ad really!! Because the grips were switched off i havent noticed it and i havent even thought about checking the directon.  Thank you next time i will check directions if something not working right.

Yes besides visibility states of course, my final block has already many visibility states so this, what i uploaded was just the problematic part for simplicity. 🙂 I could call this solution "imitating multiple visibilites with x-y parameters" 😄

Thank you very much for the help again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost