Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapping 2 object postions

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
907 Views, 3 Replies

Swapping 2 object postions

I have come across a problem where I cant find a command or quick simple 2 step process to solve and the solution I think would make a lot of peoples lives easier, I want to "swap" 2 objects around into each others positions say for instance swap a 12 tooth gear swapped with a 6 tooth gear into the 12 tooth position and the 12 tooth into the 6 tooth position...…………….Autodesk guys can you think of a way to do this that is similar to moving a object? where its select object- choose reference point then move? so the method would be select first and second object- select reference points for both (eg center) then enter and they're swapped?  have added a screen shot of how I picture the method going, anything like this already out? and it would be awesome if it didn't work on just blocks but normal objects aswell

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
hwalker
in reply to: Anonymous

Explore the MIRROR command.

Or make a dynamic block with two visibility states one of the twelve tooth gear and one of the six tooth gear. Then all you need to do is change the visibility state.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: hwalker

I can do what I described with the mirror command but then its not the 2 step method I was wanting, with mirror you first find center between ref points, easiest way with a line then mirror the 2 objects not keeping the original then have to mirror the 2 objects separately to get the right orientation,with the gears mirror would work because they will look the same no matter which way you mirror, im thinking more along the lines of swapping any object and still keeping original orientation 

Message 4 of 4
hwalker
in reply to: Anonymous

Try making them as dynamic blocks then.

Check the attached drawing. The square and circle are the same block, but just with a different visibility state showing.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost