Student MAC 2019 ANNOTATIVE BLOCKS NOT ADJUSTING TO VIEW PORT SCALE

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
509 Views, 7 Replies

Student MAC 2019 ANNOTATIVE BLOCKS NOT ADJUSTING TO VIEW PORT SCALE

Hi everyone,

I am a student running a Mac/student version 2019. I have watched a ton of tutorials on annotative text and blocks, and yet I cannot seem to get my annotative blocks to adjust when I change the viewport scale. 

So far, I know that there is a difference between model space and paper space; as per the tutorial I drew a round door block in model space with the annotative scale setting at 1/4", making sure the annotative setting was "yes." Then, checked it in the paper space, where I have 2 viewports with one set to 1/4" and the other 3/4". In the video at this point he is able to switch the scales and watch the black remain the same size in paper space representation, however mine does not.

Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 12.22.27 AM.png

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
hwalker
in reply to: Anonymous

You need to add the viewport scale to the block. Then the block will change size depending on what the viewport scale is.

You'll have to hunt for the command. I don't have AutoCAD for MAC

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 8
s.borello

Everything looks fine on my end... what's the problem? The purpose of annotative blocks is so they appear at the same size in any viewport regardless of the viewport scale.  I'm attaching a screenshot of your drawing... it has 2 viewports, 1 set at a scale of 1/4" = 1'-0 and the other at a scale of 3/4" = 1'-0... notice how the blocks are the same size.  Your blocks are fine you just didn't have 2 viewports on the same sheet in paperspace at different annotative scales to compare the size of your blocks. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: s.borello

In the tutorial the blocks were drawn in model space(ms) at 1/4 scale. So,
I labeled it as drawn at 1/4 MS scale. If you see my two different
viewports(VP), I also labeled them 1/4 VP scale and compared it to the same
block shown in 3/4 VP scale. Both blocks labeled "1/4 MS scale" should
remain the same size in the left and right VP, however it gets larger in
the 3/4 VP scale. What you have shown here is a comparison of a "1/4 scale
block and a 3/4 scale block" they were drawn at different MS scales and
cannot be compared.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: s.borello

In the tutorial, the blocks were drawn in model space(ms) at 1/4 scale. So, I labeled it as "drawn at 1/4 MS scale."

If you see my 2 different viewports(VP), I also labeled them 1/4 VP scale and compared it to the same block shown in 3/4 VP scale.

Both blocks labeled "1/4 MS scale" are the same item drawn, in the same MS scale,Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 7.15.21 PM.png and should remain the same size in the 1/4 VP and 3/4 VP. However, instead it gets larger in the 3/4 VP scale; You can see the circle labeled 1/4 gets larger.

What you have shown here is a comparison of a "1/4 scale block and a 3/4 scale block" they were drawn at different MS scales and cannot be compared. Or at least, that is not what the guy in the tutorial did. IDK?

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: hwalker

what exactly do you mean by add the scale to the block? do mean drawing it in model space at the intended scale? I guess I'm not sure how this is supposed to work.

Message 7 of 8
hwalker

See the image below. The block was originally placed in modelspace at a scale of 1:100. I then added a scale of 1:20 to it. See the highlighted area in the image below where you can add scales

Capture.JPG

After that I went into paper space and made 3 viewports. 1:100, 1:50 and 1:20. As you can see from the image below. The block appears in the 1:100 viewport and the 1:20 viewport, but not the 1:50 because I haven't added the scale to the block

Capture.JPG

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: hwalker

Ok, after watching a bunch more tutorials and fighting with this again, I have come down to some conclusions:

When designing annotative blocks for the purpose of drawing callouts etc., one should design/measure them for "paper space" and perhaps even create them in "paper space". This way, once they are inserted to the "model space" they will scale into the "annotative scale view" respectively. And, disappear when not using that particular "annotative scale view". Or, one may add 1:1 ratio simply to maintain it's visibility.

For example: I created a 2" square in "paper space" because that is the ultimate size I want my block to be plotted at. Then, as I work in "model space", I insert that block at the ratio as the "Viewport scale"; which super sizes it at the respective ratio. I can also add more ratios using the properties menu, add annotative scale.

Ultimately, the key is to design a callout feature block, in the paper space measurement first!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost