Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stretching a block on 3 axisIve got a model that

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
christian_paulsen98V29
321 Views, 11 Replies

Stretching a block on 3 axisIve got a model that

Ive got a model that is essentially a cube made out of 1.5" round tube. Id like to be able to change the size of the cube by just putting parameters in my properties pallette. If you open the dwg you can see ive got it very close to functioning. The only issue is that as the height of the cube changes, i need the top portion to move up and down with it. Does anybody have a fix for this?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Dynamic blocks are not designed for 3D. 

Message 3 of 12

And I prefer not to use them in 3d. However I’ve been presented with a task of making this thing parametric. I could do it in inventor but I hate inventor and then that adds a whole process of having to create it and then export it to autocad every time. I’ve gotten it like 90% there. I thought with a little effort we could brainstorm that last 10%. 

Message 4 of 12

I'll try to say it another way.  Dynamic parameters/actions can only act on 2 axes.  There is no scenario where you can dynamically alter a single block in 3 axes.  'Brainstorming' won't change that fact. 

Message 5 of 12

Have you bothered opening the dwg I posted. Because I’ve already got it working in 3d and on 3 axis’s. Stretching on the z axis is no problem. Getting a piece to move or translate on the z axis is the hard part. 

Message 6 of 12

Yes, I did... and no you didn't.  The parameters you added only alter the two axes.  YOU CANNOT PLACE PARAMETERS TO ALTER THE 3RD AXIS!  Good luck.

Message 7 of 12

Agree to disagree. There is 3 properties that allow changing of the width, depth, and height of the piece. That’s editing it in all 3 axis. It’s all perfectly done in 3d. No it’s not done using basic dynamic block practices, but if it was basic easy stuff i wouldn’t be asking for help. 

Message 8 of 12

I saw the height property and how it alters the extrusion using a formula.  I'm not exactly new to dynamic blocks:

capture_001_05062024_200645.jpg

 I'm done.  I honestly hope you find a way and post it.  Good luck.

Message 9 of 12

All posting a picture of your solutions does is show arrogance. You didn’t reply to help, you replied to be negative and rude. If you go into a situation not wanting to find a solution, then you’ll never find one. You didn’t even give it a chance or make an attempt to figure it out. The whole point of this project was to expand my knowledge and push the boundaries of what is doable using dynamic blocks and what isn’t. It doesn’t have any real world application. I hope I figure it out tomorrow just to prove you wrong. 

Message 10 of 12

I have also spent a tremendous amount of time expanding the boundaries of what is possible with dynamic blocks as many on this forum can attest.  I also make every attempt to be helpful.  Sometimes the best form of helpfulness is pointing out what simply will not work with dynamic blocks.  I didn't post the image out of arrogance, but rather to clue you in to my experience level as you seemed to assume that I simply did not know what I was talking about.  

I also hope you prove me wrong.  I can think of ways to do what you are asking, but not within a single dynamic block.  I will make every effort to refrain from ever attempting to help you in the future.  Again, good luck with your quest.

Message 11 of 12

Good one

Message 12 of 12

If you knew of ways then you should’ve presented a solution instead of just pointing out problems. You were being rude and you know it. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost