Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stretch with array path

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
nillisa2000
409 Views, 9 Replies

Stretch with array path

I created a dynamic block for a din rail.  I'm having an issue as when I stretch the block, the holes won't disappear as I make the din rail shorter.  Please tell me what am I missing.

Labels (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Libbya
in reply to: nillisa2000

Your attached file does not contain any blocks or block authoring components.

Message 3 of 10
nillisa2000
in reply to: Libbya

Sorry, I sent the file we pull in as a block and not the block itself.

I keep getting an error about the array path and when I stretch the din rail back out, the holes don't return....

Message 4 of 10
hwalker

Never use the normal array function within a block. Always use the inbuilt Array action. Also always start with the minimum length that your element is going to be. See the attached drawing to get you started.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 5 of 10
nillisa2000
in reply to: hwalker

Okay, I'll try what you just suggested.  Delete the array path and use array action.  Thank you so much.

Message 6 of 10
hwalker

Check the drawing then all you will need to do is move the elements which array in the block down to where they should be

Howard Walker
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 7 of 10
Libbya

It's fine to use a the ARRAY command to create path array and use it within a dynamic block.  That functionality is solid and in some ways allow added flexibility through the use of formulae.  I am not very experienced with the ARRAY command though so there may be easier ways to get it working correctly.  My solution is to use a construction line as the path so that you can adjust its path to be exactly what you would like.  See screencast.

Message 8 of 10
Libbya

Message 9 of 10
hwalker

I prefer using the array action within the block because if I want to change something if the normal array is used you have to explode the array, then do your changes then re array. Where as if it's just one object it's a lot quicker to change.

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 10 of 10
Libbya

You can actually edit the items within the array, but I am also more well-versed with the dynamic array action than I am with the ARRAY command.  The ARRAY command has the power to dynamically alter the column/row offset(s) which is something conspicuously missing with the dynamic array action.  In this case, if I were making the block from scratch I would be inclined toward using the dynamic array action, but thought it was worth noting that either can work fine.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta