Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simplify dynamic block

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
scliftVZYUW
494 Views, 6 Replies

Simplify dynamic block

I have a dynamic block that has a drop down list to select options A-E, which each contain different values for the same set of parameters. I would like to change this block so that it is just option E (so no drop down at all, basically a normal block with parameters controlled by the block properties table), and that A-D are not used. To do this, I deleted all the other entries from the block properties table. However, after I save this block with only the data for option E in the block properties table, when I go to use the block it still defaults to the values for A.

Is there a way to update the block so that changes the default values in the block editor?

Thanks

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
steven-g
in reply to: scliftVZYUW

Did you save the changes to the block in the editor? Existing blocks can hold onto their old features when you start removing dynamic content after they have been inserted. A dynamic block becomes an annonymous block when you change some features so if you have a dynamic feature set, that block is stiil hanging onto it's dynamicness. You might need to insert a new block.

Message 3 of 7
pendean

share your block in a DWG file with the problem please.
Message 4 of 7
scliftVZYUW
in reply to: pendean

See a simplified version here. Type "LG305" is "A". "LG305" persists even when removed from the dynamic table for me. Thanks

Message 5 of 7
steven-g

There is no sign of anything like "LG305" in your drawing, what is it supposed to relate too? Dynamic blocks and constraints never work well together, if you are only leaving one item in the block properties table, why bother with it in the first place, the idea is to give a block multiple choices, if you are removing the choices just remove the BPT and set the constraints.

And you do realise you are posting in the LT forum (LT can't use constraints).

Message 6 of 7
scliftVZYUW
in reply to: steven-g

Hi Steven,

If you insert the block into a drawing, in the properties you will see "LG305" under type (see the attached screenshot).

As far as why to keep the BPT, I was hoping it would be a simpler way to change from the dynamic block to each option being an individual block instead of having to redraw/redimension many new blocks. This block was created by someone with the full version of AutoCAD, and since I don't need to add any constraints, I'm not sure why LT would be a hindrance here.

Thanks

Message 7 of 7
steven-g

Unfortunately, the file won't insert into another drawing I get a message that the file is invalid. I can open the dwg itself but there is no indication of where the LG305 comes from so I can only imagine there is something not making it into this file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report