Did you mean: 

"Bursting" Blocks for LT Users?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
buckeyefever2
10834 Views, 3 Replies

"Bursting" Blocks for LT Users?

Is there a simple work around that will easily explode blocks while keeping the attribute value in AutoCAD LT? I know there is the 'burst' command but that is not included in the LT version. What I would like to do is when our company designs a new job we like to put all of our information/symbols on 0.50 mm line weight. But, say for example we are renovating or working on an existing building that we previously have done new drawings for we like to keep the old information and put it on the default line weight. This way our guys know exactly what new work is to be done, and which information is existing and only used for reference. You can see with possible 50+ symbols to explode and retype the information could become a very tedious and time consuming process. Anyone with information to shed light on this issue will be helpful. 

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
steven-g
in reply to: buckeyefever2

There is no quick and easy fix, many things that can be done in full Autocad are just not available in LT, which is why LT is LT, having said that there are often ways of doing many of the things using work arounds and tricks, but these can cost more in time than paying for the upgrade to full Autocad. So just to get text items out of attributed blocks.

This method may work for you, but no guarantees, select the blocks in the properties palette change the Z scale to 2 (Could be any axis and any value other than 1). Use the wmfout command (choose a file location in the dialogue) now use the wmfin command, you will probably need to use an insertion scale factor of about 2. This imports as a block, explode the block and you should now have lots of odd geometry from your original block, and the attributes have become text items. This trick doesn't produce perfectly scaled objects which is why I said it's Ok for text, just delete everything else. I'd import the wmfin part off to the side of your drawing to tidy it up, but because of the scale issue you will need to adjust things to suit your system.

It might take you longer to work this out than retyping all the values manually, first time. Second time might be break even, but after a few occasions it should become second nature. Good luck

Message 3 of 4
buckeyefever2
in reply to: steven-g

Just had a small idea pop in my head when I started thinking of this again. Could I just create a new visibility state for each type of receptacle but call it "EXISTING (TYPE OF RECEPTACLE)" and then in that new visibility state just turn the line weight to default. The only issue with this is that when I tried this it turned the "new" receptacle line weight to default, also. Another issue that may arise is keeping the receptacle circuit number to stay the same throughout this entire process. I'm just not sure if being able to switch between line weights in one block through visibility states is possible.

I've attached my master block drawing for your use.

Message 4 of 4

I believe I have answered my own question. Although, this may be a tedious process to create an existing instance for each symbol that continues to hold each parameter and action throughout each visibility state.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost