Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Dynamic Blocks Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with door block not working properly

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
647 Views, 9 Replies

Need help with door block not working properly

I am working on a block for doors. I'm trying to build it to where all the options will work independently from each other. For instance: I want to be able to have door adapters with or without mid rails or the door handing needs to be right hand on one and left hand on the other or both doors be right hand. There are also adapter plates that need to turn off and on.  Also, need the ability to stretch the doors to the appropriate size, threshold height, etc.

I have attached a copy of the block to this post for reference.  Any help is much appreciated!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Libbya
in reply to: Anonymous

This will solve a significant issue with your block and eliminate a few visibility states.  Let me know if you need an explanation as to why it works.  Report back after implementing it and repost the block along with a description of any other unresolved issues.  See screencast.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Libbya

Thank you so much for your help!  That seemed to work great!  I am wondering why a few things were done.  For instance, the Move and Move1 actions, what purpose do they serve?  Also, when you did the angle offset on the stretch actions, what is the reasoning for the 90 and 270?  Thank you in advance for your help!

Edit:  On Stretch10 and Stretch11, you need to add the flip state to each of those actions. When you stretch out the center mullion width, the flip states do not follow.

Message 4 of 10
Libbya

The two move actions keep the flip parameters centered on the door they also assist with the position of the diagonal lines.  The reason for the angle offsets (and the additional chained point parameters) is to facilitate the ability to flip the stretch angles.  When you flip/rotate an action it changes the angle offset according EXCEPT that flips that change an angle offset from 0 to 180 or 180 to 0 are ignored.  I have no idea why that is the case, but it just is.  Because of this, the workaround of adding the chained point parameters is necessary so that the flips change the angle offset between 90 and 270.  It would make more sense and be easier if angle offsets of 0 and 180 were able to be flipped but alas that isn't the case.  

Let me know if you have trouble implementing your various selection options.  I believe that all of what you want to do is possible.  

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

@Libbya wrote:

The two move actions keep the flip parameters centered on the door they also assist with the position of the diagonal lines.  The reason for the angle offsets (and the additional chained point parameters) is to facilitate the ability to flip the stretch angles.  When you flip/rotate an action it changes the angle offset according EXCEPT that flips that change an angle offset from 0 to 180 or 180 to 0 are ignored.  I have no idea why that is the case, but it just is.  Because of this, the workaround of adding the chained point parameters is necessary so that the flips change the angle offset between 90 and 270.  It would make more sense and be easier if angle offsets of 0 and 180 were able to be flipped but alas that isn't the case.  

Let me know if you have trouble implementing your various selection options.  I believe that all of what you want to do is possible.  

I am having trouble with the multiple selection options.  I am doing multiple lookups, but they are not functioning.  Could you please walk me through this?  These are the areas that I need selection options for:

Midrail:

4-1/4" Midrail

7" Midrail

No Midrail (default)

Door Adapter:

No Door Adapter

9/16" Door Adapter

5/8" Door Adapter

I think the rest of it should be able to be done with the stretches built in already.  Thank you for your help!

Message 6 of 10
Libbya

Can you post the block in its current state?

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Sure, here you go...  It's a mess... LOL

Message 8 of 10
Libbya

This should clear it up.  You might not be aware of double-lookups.  They are a very powerful tool.  They basically link an input and an output table.  The way I set up the selections is to add a 'memory' point.  I use the X value to store the adapter selection and the Y value to store the midrail selection.  I then use the memory point location to determine the double lookup row on the input table and use that row on the output table to select the visibility state.  It's a fairly advanced technique but easy to use once you get the hang of it.  See screencast.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Thank you for your help.  I am aware of double lookups, but I was a bit unclear on how they needed to interact.  Now all I need to figure out is how to refresh the pick points (dynamic editing grips) that appear/disappear when cycling through selection so you don't have to deselect then reselect the block to manipulate different areas of the block.  I know you can do that through the Properties panel, but most users here don't use it (I have no idea why... smh).  Maybe the solution would be to have the pick points on for all visibility states? It is nice to have it more contextual though. Guess it is something that will be on the AUGI wish list... LOL  Thank you again for your help!

Message 10 of 10
Libbya

Grips are visible for any visibility state where their associated parameter is visible for that state.  Trying to change the visibility of the grip itself does nothing outside of block editor.  If there is some other issue you are seeing with grip visibility or lack thereof, let me know.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report