Did you mean: 

Keynote block

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
3033 Views, 6 Replies

Keynote block

Hi,

A collegue has asked me if I can create a dynamic keynote block (circle with number) that will update all with one change--say the number '5' keynote block, and ie all the '5' blocks are changed to '6'. I assume this can't be done with creating a table?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Libbya
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you using vanilla AutoCAD or one of the verticals?  I use ACA and use the keynote feature for keynoting in the way you describe.  I was unsure about it at first, but the more I have used it the more I have found that it actually works very well.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Libbya

I'm using AutoCAD 2016. I wish I was using AutoCAD Architecture. Sounds like that feature is useful.

Message 4 of 7
Libbya
in reply to: Anonymous

I imagine that you could accomplish the desired result using fields for the blocks and data extraction for the table but I have not done so.  

Message 5 of 7
Libbya

I played with that idea a little and it does work.  See the attached drawing.  

I created the KEYNOTE multileader style and set it current.  I then created the RED keynote reference blocks (named Keynote Block) which have two attributes; NUMBER and TEXT.  I then used the ML command to place a multileader of the KEYNOTE style and when placing it, for the attribute value I right-clicked and used Insert Field to place an Object field that referenced the appropriate Keynote Reference block.  After placing a few I created a date extraction that extracted data from the Keynote Blocks.  It worked like a charm.  If you want to edit the reference number or text, change the Keynote Block attribute.  If the number is changed, the multileaders linked to the edited keynote block will all update with a regen.  The numbers and text will all update by right-clicking the table and updating the data extraction.  Note that Autodesk would not let me attach the data extraction file type (.dxe) so you will have to create your own in order for the updating to work in the table.  I left the table in place as an example, though.  

I would add a few thoughts.  Inserting the object field is a pain.  I would probably look into using a LISP for doing so.  Short of that, create the field and then copy the keynote for any other iterations.  I used two digits for the number for a reason.  The data extraction sorts by the number ascending in the way one would sort alphabetically.  That means that if you don't have the leading zero for numbers 1-9 then it will sort 10-19 before 2, etc...  Adding the leading zero fixes it.  Data extraction could also be used on the multi-leaders to see if you have any of a particular value.  This could come in useful if you decide to eliminate a keynote from the legend and want to track down any of the multi-leaders for deletion.   

Message 6 of 7
s60088g

Six years late to this thread!  Thanks for sharing that file.  I'm working in a new company that uses only an LT version of CAD.  Everything is so tedious and not efficient.  I'd love to try using the blocks that you shared but I need just the keynote bubble without the leader.  Can I edit and remove and have nothing disturbed by this?  I right-clicked and chose "Remove leader."  Would you mind to upload the data-extraction component / file that's missing in the xref?

Message 7 of 7
s60088g
in reply to: s60088g

Does the keynote get inserted as a block?  I pasted it into the drawing but when copied and number changed, only the one keynote number changed.  I thought that all with that same number / copied block would change universally.  Could use your help!   S.O.S.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta