Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I made a weld symbol

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
j-dubya-merchant
351 Views, 2 Replies

I made a weld symbol

So after learning AutoCAD on the job for 4-ish months, I finally made a working dynamic weld symbol.  Ta-daaaa.

I should mention that this iteration was tailored to the recommendations of the guy who's been training me.  At the moment, it only does 4 weld types (hence, the name "Quattro" 🙃), and only the fillet weld has much in the way of customization.  From what I've been told, this covers most use cases for what we do at my work (and gave me clear boundaries for what it needs to do).  Eventually, I plan to expand its capabilities.

FEATURES:

• It does Fillet, Square/Butt, Bevel, and Flare Bevel welds.

• The All-Around Circle, Field Flag, and Tail can all be switched on or off (as well as the Length and Pitch for fillet welds).

• All text in the block is editable (the AttDefs are multiline in order to allow for stacked fractions in the Weld Size and multiple lines in the Tail Text).  To take full advantage of that, make sure the ATTIPE variable is set to "ON".  I also discovered that holding "Ctrl" while double clicking AttDef text makes it faster to edit, for what that's worth.

I wanted to have individual Lookup Tables for each component (weld type, circle, flag, tail, etc.)... but I couldn't find a satisfying way to accomplish that, so I just implemented a master Block Table that allows you to set each feature sequentially.  It's more tedious to set than I would've liked, but it works, I guess.

Also, the grip for flipping the arrow, circle, flag, and tail to the left or right is a Lookup grip instead of a Flip grip; the width of the weld symbol dynamically adjusts depending on which features you choose, and I didn't want that grip moving around as the flip line adjusts.

Labels (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Libbya
in reply to: j-dubya-merchant

I wanted to have individual Lookup Tables for each component (weld type, circle, flag, tail, etc.)... but I couldn't find a satisfying way to accomplish that, so I just implemented a master Block Table that allows you to set each feature sequentially.  It's more tedious to set than I would've liked, but it works, I guess.

Are you looking for info on how to switch?  I've posted quite a few different videos on how to implement lookups for control of individual inputs.  It would be time consuming to switch to that type of input, but not particularly difficult.  You already have all the visibility states created.  

Message 3 of 3
j-dubya-merchant
in reply to: Libbya

Are you looking for info on how to switch?  I've posted quite a few different videos on how to implement lookups for control of individual inputs.  It would be time consuming to switch to that type of input, but not particularly difficult.  You already have all the visibility states created.  

If you know how to make that kind of thing work, show me the way!

What I'd tried to do initially was create a sort of "network" of interdependent Lookup Tables (for example, if the tail is on, but the flag and circle are off, the block would show a "Weld Type" Lookup Table that would only give visibility state options that also have the tail on, and the flag and circle off), and I had everything laid out in a spreadsheet. There ended up being about twice as many Lookup Tables as there were Visibility States, and when I put the Lookup Tables in the block (not even filling them in yet)... AutoCAD didn't like it.  Too many tables.  It got suuuper slow.

Anyway, yeah, if there's an easier way to do that sort of thing, I'd love to know!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost