Did you mean: 

HELP WITH INSERTING DYNAMIC BLOCK

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
b.johnson.4204
5028 Views, 14 Replies

HELP WITH INSERTING DYNAMIC BLOCK

I am creating dynamic block.  I've started with a really simple one and it currently works in the original drawing.  I created the block using the "block (b)" command.  I then saved the block, purged the drawing, and saved the drawing.  I can copy the block into another drawing but I cannot insert is through the "insert" command or dialogue box.  Anytime I try to go through the insert command it just says "invalid" after I try.  Ultimately we would like these dynamic blocks to be part of a tool palette.  Is there something wrong with the way the block was made that is preventing this from being able to be inserted?  I've scrolled through some posts but did not see one that covered this part specifically,

Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Libbya
in reply to: b.johnson.4204

I'd have to see a screencast of your actual process to know why the block will not insert using your process.

If you have opened a new drawing and am trying to insert the dynamic block host file into it, it should work, but would require one explode to access the dynamic block.  More 'normal' is to wblock or 'save to block file' in which case, on insertion, no explode is required.  In either case it should work without issue.

If you are planning to use a tool palette of dynamic blocks I would recommend having a single dedicated file that contains all of the current versions of all of your dynamic blocks, or if that is too large of a file, have files that contain all of the blocks of a specific category.  Save your host file to a location that is accessible for all users.  Create your tool palette by dragging the individual blocks onto the palette.  

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

If you copy the block and paste into the new drawing, -insert command should work.

But if you use -insert command in the new drawing without the existing block, it will be invalid.

You must first save the block using "BSAVEAS" command. make sure the filename has no spaces in it.

After saving the block, You must add the folder location of your block in the support file search path for you to access the block even it is not in the current drawing.

Once the folder is in support file search path, -insert method should work.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 15
Libbya
in reply to: Anonymous

The OP stated that they used the "insert" command and dialog box, not the "-insert" command.  The "insert" command will work but you cannot simply type in the block name if it is not currently in the file (in which case it will not show up in the pulldown list).  From the dialog, you can browse to the file that contains the block you wish to insert regardless of whether or not the file location is in the support file locations and it will not be invalid.

Message 5 of 15
MMcCall402
in reply to: Libbya

Also, with the final intent being to build a tool palette for these blocks, the way the blocks are saved could go either way, as each block being its own dwg, or being a several blocks within one dwg. Tool palettes can be built from either as they have the ability to reach into dwgs and pull a block stored within just like design center.

I don't know if there are benefits or drawbacks to either method.  I do know that wblocking them out from a vertical product (arch, civil, etc) will write much smaller dwg files.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 6 of 15
dmfrazier

"Anytime I try to go through the insert command it just says "invalid" after I try."

"Is there something wrong with the way the block was made that is preventing this from being able to be inserted?"

This is because the name of the dwg housing the block and the name of the block definition are the same.  When you insert a DWG file into the current dwg, AutoCAD automatically creates a new block definition whose name matches the DWG's filename - unless you indicate you don't want it to do so by checking the "Explode" option on the dialog (or by other means when using other insert methods). If the filename matches the name of a block within the file, AutoCAD cannot create the new block definition (because it already exists as part of the DWG being inserted), so it cancels the insert and responds with "invalid".

If your ultimate goal is to produce Tool Palettes to insert these blocks, I would recommend (as others here may have) creating and storing groups of similar blocks in "block source" drawings and creating your TPs by dragging/dropping from DesignCenter onto palettes.  Assuming you will "share" these resources with a group, this has the added benefit of making your blocks readily available to those who might prefer to use DC rather than TPs.

Message 7 of 15

Hi,

Go for the WBlock to your current block.

1. Wblock

2. In Source Select Block Option

3. And select Your Block file.

4.And in bottom save file to the desired location.

After that use insert command.

Message 8 of 15
b.johnson.4204
in reply to: dmfrazier

So I have separate DWG files for each block now, and each block is renamed differently than the filename which solved the initial issue (thanks!) but now there is a different issue.  The block has to be exploded every time I bring it in through the insert command before I can use the dynamic capabilities.  Is there a way to avoid that?  I know I've gone through the insert command and immediately had a dynamic block that didn't have to be exploded. 

Message 9 of 15
MMcCall402

What you have now is your block stored in a dwg. When you insert that dwg as a block you're left with a block in a block.

What you need is to store that block as the dwg.  (note the difference: block being IN a dwg vs block as the dwg) 

Two ways to do this:

1) In the Wblock command select Block (not objects), select your block from the list of blocks and then chose a file name and location.

2) Open the dynamic block in the block editor. In the block 'save as' option there is a selection for saving the block as its own dwg.

Additional info:

In the future when you open these dynamic blocks that are their own dwg they will automatically prompt you that they have dynamic features and ask you to open them in the block editor.

Also, blocks inserted via tool palettes have the option to be exploded upon insertion.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 10 of 15
dmfrazier

"The block has to be exploded every time I bring it in through the insert command before I can use the dynamic capabilities.  Is there a way to avoid that?  I know I've gone through the insert command and immediately had a dynamic block that didn't have to be exploded."

It depends on exactly how you are executing the insert command.

If you're using the INSERT command dialog interface, there's a checkbox at the lower-left to indicate that you want to "explode the block" upon insertion.  Bear in mind that using this feature of the command does not avoid creating a new block reference in the current drawing named for the drawing that is inserted.

If you're using more of a commandline method (-INSERT), then the way you indicate you want to insert a DWG file "exploded" (bring in the contents of the DWG without creating a new block reference and a new insert) is to preceed the name of the block (or filename) with an asterisk (*).

@MMcCall402's method is another valid approach.

Message 11 of 15
b.johnson.4204
in reply to: dmfrazier

Seems that block name and DWG file name can't be the same which was the problem all along!

Message 12 of 15
stallantJDSUD
in reply to: Libbya

Ok, I am having a similar issue, if I copy and paste my Dynamic blocks from their original file into my drawing they work perfectly, however when I use the block tab to insert the same block it brings in a basic version of the block and will not allow me to populate any text or cycle through the visibility list.

Message 13 of 15

Have you tried redefining the block through Design Center? It sounds like you have an old block definition that just needs overwritten potentially. 

Message 14 of 15
stallant16

Thank you, after redefining the block i was able to use it as intended.
Message 15 of 15
stallant16

ok so not sure if this is possible but, i have a list of addresses in an electrical diagram that i have connected to a base callout for ease. it works exactly as planned until i try to include the parts in a dynamic block. then once i update the master content it will not copy to the slave content. 

once the information on the outside two drawings is filled in it was supposed to auto update to the drawing in the center however it will not since i included it in the block

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost