Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Dynamic Blocks Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fields, Object, Attribute Value

50 REPLIES 50
SOLVED
Message 1 of 51
Charles_Shade
19984 Views, 50 Replies

Fields, Object, Attribute Value

In the attached I am looking to have the Fields updated by the Value in the Attribute.

All other Object choices for an Attribute will populate the Field except Value.

Limitation or am I missing something?

50 REPLIES 50
Message 41 of 51
llorden4
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I've been trying to figure this very issue out for years and have had several instances where having this ability would provide so many solutions for dynamic blocks I want to create.  So here's an example file I'm trying to make perform, see what you can do with it.

For bonus points, see if you can keep the text horizontal while rotating around the insertion point (without losing the insertion point as the center of the rotation).

Currently using 2016.

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Message 42 of 51
h_s_walker
in reply to: llorden4

Are you trying to create a Section Arrow?

Here have one on me

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 43 of 51
llorden4
in reply to: h_s_walker

Thanks, I'll dissect your rotation setup; my center point for rotation keeps shifting when I chain actions with a move or stretch.  Unchaining has lead to other issues.

Core question remains:  How to link my field to an attribute value within the same block.

(I do know you can edit the 2nd attribute after you insert the block with a field and get the desired results, but that doesn't reduce work loads for the drafter inserting the block).

*Rotation Success*

I was able to mimic your selection settings and got the rotation to work as desired, thanks!

Message 44 of 51
truss_85
in reply to: llorden4

Sorry it can not be done. One must insert block and then manipulate fields. For this reason I use COPY PASTE blocks between the drawings. May this will reduce drafter work loads.
Message 45 of 51
llorden4
in reply to: truss_85

@truss_85 wrote:
Sorry it can not be done. One must insert block and then manipulate fields. For this reason I use COPY PASTE blocks between the drawings. May this will reduce drafter work loads.

Thanks, was afraid of that.  I was hoping by now Autodesk would have found a solution or a new tool to accomplish this.

Message 46 of 51
RocksterB
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I'd like to use this process to control attributes on phase layers (new, exist, demo). Looking forward into the foreseeable future, years from now when I'm old and retired, who's going to remember to flex the dynamic block to get the block to work. This one issue makes me not want to use this method. Why is this necessary and why doesn't regenerating the drawing environment refresh the block? Grrrr....!

Message 47 of 51
Libbya
in reply to: RocksterB

If you want to avoid the 'jumpstart' step for the block, then add it to a 'library drawing' make a dynamic change, save the drawing, add the block to a tool palette.  All insertions of the block from that tool on the tool palette will already be 'pre-jumpstarted'.

Message 48 of 51
RocksterB
in reply to: Libbya

I was thinking if I could do just that. Pre-flex it and put it on a template file. Unfortunately, that means in the future the block couldn't simply be placed using the INSERT command. Well, I think the future can deal with an 80% correct dynamic block.

Message 49 of 51
Anonymous

There is also Lee Mac's work.

http://www.lee-mac.com/dynamicblockfunctions.html

Thanks.

Message 50 of 51
RocksterB
in reply to: Anonymous

I took a look at the web site. Which one would be applicable for this task?

Message 51 of 51
EspenR-J

Hi!

My first post, but been reading alot on this forum.

Resently came across the same problem with duplicate information in title box of a drawing.

Read this tread and started thinkin, if at least there was some way to semi automate or make the user activate the updating of field by a button. So made a lookup table with a hidden move action, and named the lookup option "activate field update".

Attaching hte file, see if u like this option.

Espen

Regards, Espen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report