Did you mean: 

Fastener Block with double visibility lookups

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
RAndersonB5C66
551 Views, 11 Replies

Fastener Block with double visibility lookups

I'd like to start off by saying sorry if this is a repetitive question, I tried searching under these forums for my scenario and didn't find anything clear to resolve my issue. After following a Youtube tutorial on inputting these lookups; I hit a wall on my double lookup parameter set.

'Lookup1' is for a dropdown of fastener styles & sizes.

'Lookup2' will be for the length available for each.

'Lookup3' is my double lookup parameter set trying to link everything as the video shows, but I'm not sure what to fix on 'Lookup5' to make this happen. I attached some snips for reference.  Also, when setting 'BACTIONBARMODE' to 1; 'Lookup5' table does not show. Is that because it's stuck on 'read only' right now? 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
hwalker
in reply to: RAndersonB5C66

Posting your block is a better idea than posting images, then people can look at the block and tell you where you're going wrong.

Keep BACTIONBARMODE on 0. See the link below

AutoCAD 2022 Help | BACTIONBARMODE (System Variable) | Autodesk

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 12
RAndersonB5C66
in reply to: hwalker

Here she be!

Message 4 of 12
hwalker

1. Your length and Size parameters should both be 1 long, as that is your first set of data in your lookups.

2. The items ringed in red in the images below should both read the same.

3. Don't forget to turn off the grips and set the items to don't show for your visibility state and lookup 3

Capture.JPGCapture1.JPG

Howard Walker
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 5 of 12
RAndersonB5C66

I took care of 2 & 3 in your response. Not sure on the first part. Appreciate the help so far!

Right now it partially works. It will only change between the different types if the lengths match those included with that screw size/type. My goal is for whenever I change the fastener size/type, the second toggle will only show the available lengths I associated with it. Instead, it shows all length options for each right now. I'm assuming whatever you were getting at in the first remark is the cause for this? I attached the updated block!

Message 6 of 12
hwalker

Sorry I meant your length and style parameters since they are listed as 1 in the image below they should be length 1 in your block to start with.

The other is easy, just create a lookup in each state with just the lengths you want. See the block in the attached drawing.

It starts with H10 Trent (top grip) and goes from W8 to W13 (bottom grip) , but if you change it to another lookup using the top grip the bottom grip changes.

It will take a little bit of work , but it does work. I was pointed in that direction by @Libbya ages ago

hwalker_0-1700127781070.png

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 7 of 12
RAndersonB5C66

Sorry, I think I need something else to compare it to. That block you included makes me want to ask more questions. Any chance you could modify one of my fastener types with how it should be? Then I could reference that and update the rest of it. I can't attach my newer block of what I did (made a lookup parameter for each fastener type like your block showed). It will work and only show the sizes included for the different types, but only if the lengths match between the fastener type I switch to (for ex: all types have a length option at 1", so the second toggle will update accordingly between them all) otherwise, it will only show the previous fastener type length options in the list. Also, some of those lookup tables say 'Converted' where it normally says 'Custom' and I don't know why? If you're too busy I understand. We're slow at work right now so I'm just finding things to work on that will help our submittal department. 

Message 8 of 12
hwalker

@RAndersonB5C66 I've attached an updated version of your block. You need 4 lookup parameters 1 for selecting the screw type and the other three for selecting the relevant length. I've started you off (see the attached drawing), it also has an explanation in the block as well. You also need to add the length parameter to lookup 1 and change the number so it is will be the same as the first length for that different type (See the image below).

hwalker_0-1700214988366.png

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 9 of 12
RAndersonB5C66

Looks like all I needed to add to the updated block I couldn't upload yesterday (oversized file) was that length parameter to Lookup1 with the length each one starts at (like Lookup5 table references). I have 13 lookup parameters (one for each style size) as that's what I understood from your previous block example since no types share all the same sizes. Guess I'll have to play with a copy and see if that works doing it with just the 3 types and save time in the future! Thanks for the help!

Message 10 of 12
hwalker

Yeah I did see it was a bit oversized. 

If you have full AutoCAD, maybe you can create a variable linear array, which you could then use to cut down the size of your block

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 11 of 12

Also, is there anything to note on why the lookup table says "Converted" vs "Custom" on every fastener length table other than the first (like those previous attached images show)? I hate not knowing lol.

Message 12 of 12
hwalker

You've got me. I don't know why it says converted instead of custom

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost