Did you mean: 

Dynamic polyline block that changes direction

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1871 Views, 5 Replies

Dynamic polyline block that changes direction

Hello,

I create audio visual single line diagrams showing signal flow (see attached example) and I have a question about dynamic polyline blocks.  I want to create a polyline block so I can define attributes within it for each of the cables between devices for data extraction.  Some of the polylines aren't straight and they change direction at a couple different points, as you can see on the attached screenshot between "AUDIO OUT" and "AUDIO IN".  I'm hoping someone has a suggestion on how to easily create this sort of a polyline block.  Being able to insert this block then route the polyline between devices is my goal.

Thanks.

Mike

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Washingtonn
in reply to: Anonymous

Will this work for you?

Message 3 of 6
Libbya
in reply to: Washingtonn

I'd think something like this might be a bit more user-friendly.

Message 4 of 6
Washingtonn
in reply to: Libbya

The block name included a number to allow revisions to be posted (ie AV_DB02.dwg). When you post a block which has an entirely different approach and use the same name, you make it inconvenient for those who wish to compare the different blocks – they have to deal with renaming or overwriting of files. 

The original block was an example for the poster to take and modify - not meant to be a final solution. Although I appreciate your concern to make the block more user friendly and it was partially successful, but I was considering situations where it would be used – see below.

Referring to pic: 

1. There may well be more than one block of this type used which will require a given spacing. This makes the XY-parameter which is more difficult to control alignment less desirable.
  2. There may be situations where the polyline offset will be oriented downward instead of upward. A flip parameter should be included to accomplish this (rotation parameter is not an appropriate choice).
  3. The terminal points of the lines may use a reference point to insure alignment (all aligning to the blue line for example). Once again, the XY parameter is more difficult to control. The linear stretch allows users to stretch to a selected X or Y to an existing reference point elsewhere in the drawing.
Message 5 of 6
Libbya
in reply to: Washingtonn

Washington, assuming files are being downloaded into the same folder each time, the OS will automatically rename the file to a unique name.  I don't imagine the OP will be using your file naming protocol in his block library, so any time/effort spent on my part (albeit minuscule) to name files or blocks in a specific manner, is just wasted time.

You should consider where the origin is when making dynamic blocks.  Your first posting had the linework positioned far away from the origin.  When inserting the block, the insertion point would be nonsensical and result in an extra grip that did not relate to the block in any way.  Consider the end-user and how they will use the block.  Both of the blocks you posted are less user-friendly than simply using polylines which already have the various stretch grips.  The workflow on your latest block would be that the user would need to insert the block at the first component, use the flip grip, use the vertical stretch grip to stretch down to the second component, use the horizontal stretch grip to stretch horizontally to the second component, stretch the vertical line to position it in relation to the other vertical lines.  That's enough steps that simply drawing a polyline from scratch would be easier.

Regarding your specific points.

1.  There is no added difficulty in aligning an XY parameter.  It's odd to me that you would think so.  It is actually an easier process than what you propose.  I would assume the 'correct' location of the endpoint of the line would be the middle of the component box.  In that case, there is a snap grip readily available.  Splitting the process of correctly aligning the endpoint into two separate grip manipulations is just a waste of time for the end user.

2.  Nope no flip grip needed - see below.  It would only add complication to the block and increase the time it would take the user to orient the line correctly.

3.  I would almost agree with you on that point, if object snap and object snap tracking didn't work.    

Regarding the block I previously attached, the issue of orientation of the line in the other direction is very easily solved without the use of any additional flip grip to manipulate.  The workflow for this block would be as follows.  The user would insert the block at one of the components, drag the single grip to the other component (regardless of whether it is above or below), drag the third grip to position the vertical line wherever they like in relation to the other vertical lines.  See attached screencast and file.

Message 6 of 6
Washingtonn
in reply to: Libbya

I will admit to and apologize for having the wrong origin. It would have been nice had this been pointed that out in your original post. I corrected this in the later post.

I misspoke regarding the alignment of XY parameter. I meant to convey that when modifying the Y value, additional care is needed to avoid modifying the X value at the same time (depending on snap settings). With a linear stretch, that would not be a concern.

There are different ways to solve a problem - The flip parameter is one way – I agree that adding a position parameter, as you did in your later post, is better in this situation.

In any event, the OP has a solution and that after all is the reason for the forums.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta