Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic leader and mirroring

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
1113 Views, 10 Replies

Dynamic leader and mirroring

I've created a dynamic material tag that stretches in width. Also attached to it is a flexible leader. 

I seem to be able to get everything working except:

• When I add a stretch to the leader landing, the arrowhead doesn't rotate. How can I do this?
    Distorted arrow head.JPG
  • I can't mirror the leader without it breaking. How can I have identical functionality - adjustable width of the rounded-rectangle box and flexible leader - on both sides?
  • Is there a way to turn on/off the leader if I just want the tag only?

Thank you

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Libbya
in reply to: Anonymous

Make your polar parameter chained, remove the line from the stretch action, add the polar parameter to the stretch action, add another polar stretch to the polar parameter on the end where the stretch grip is, add the line to the polar stretch action and add the arrow head to the rotate only selection set.  See attached.

Message 3 of 11
Libbya
in reply to: Libbya

The trouble with adding the flip to the block that I last posted is that the leader becomes very skewed due to the chained polar parameter and actions.  Attached is a better (and simpler) version.  In this version I created a dimension style (callout leader) and inserted a leader of that style.  The leader object is amenable to dynamic actions and 'automatically' incorporates the polar stretch of the leader arrow into the movement so that instead of requiring a chained polar parameter, all of it can be done with the linear stretch on the 'elbow' and an unchained point stretch at the tip.  With the unchained actions everything maintains its proper geometry through the flip.  Adding the visibility state to turn off the leader is fairly self-explanatory.  

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Thank you Libbya for the tag and the explanation, this is excellent.

When I move the block around, the leader on/off toggle stays in place. I tried adding the visibility parameter to the move action, but it didn't work. Also, Is there a way to be able to add/remove leaders too, like MLEADEREDIT command?

Message 5 of 11
Libbya

If you add the visibility parameter to the selection set of the move action it will move with everything else.  I'm not sure why that isn't working for you.  I'll send an updated version shortly.

As far as adding/removing leaders, you could have multiple visibility states and have an additional leader in each.  Another option is to add another occurrence of the block in the same location and leave the attributes bloank or add a visibility state that is just the leader and then add as many copies of the block as you desire for additional leaders.

Message 6 of 11
Libbya

Here's another version with the visibility added to the move selection set.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Thank you, this is great.

I've copied the tag and tried to recreate a rectangular version too. I can get everything working except the move grip at the base of the leader. I can't figure it out - do you know where I'm going wrong?

Broken tag.JPG

Message 8 of 11
Libbya

The reason your block is becoming skewed is because the skewed objects are both being moved AND being stretched by the same parameter.  Your stretch window is correct, but the selection set should only include the leader and none of the box.  The box is being moved by the move action.  As an alternative, you could stretch the box and notes all as the same action and eliminate the move.  You also actually don't need a separate  chained point/move for the base point in this block.  I added those in a previous version because there is a dynamic block bug that comes into play when there is a chained polar parameter and the basepoint is being stretched.  In this version there is no chained polar so those two actions and the chained point move can go.  See attached.

There are some parts to the box that are missing in the Leader OFF visibility state.  Other than that, the block looks good.    

Message 9 of 11
Libbya

BTW, you could combine the two tags into one with a separate visibility state for rectangle and one for bubble.  

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Hi Libbya,

I tried to convert these blocks from metric to US units but in the scaling process I think I broke the tags, the leader is separating from the bubble. I've tried to figure it out but I can't seem to see where it's broken in the block editor. Can you help?

Thank you

Message 11 of 11
Libbya

In scaling the block, your stretch windows did not scale.  You need to select each in turn and modify them to match what they were in the other block definition.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report