Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Dynamic Blocks Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DYNAMIC BLOCKS: how to keep attributes horizontal while rotating a block?

57 REPLIES 57
SOLVED
Message 1 of 58
Anonymous
92458 Views, 57 Replies

DYNAMIC BLOCKS: how to keep attributes horizontal while rotating a block?

Hi,

I found a video with example how attributes moving with block, but remains horizontal. I cant find how to do it. Maybe somone can help me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sXzcYqnDsc&list=HL1393395570

57 REPLIES 57
Message 41 of 58
rhgrafix
in reply to: steven-g

... and once your block is working, you can uncheck Annotative in the text style manager and even in the BEDIT editor for the attributes you want to keep level, make sure attribute is locked in position (if it's included in any parameter action). We have some clients who(m?) don't like their drawings returned with any annotative in the text style manager. Warning!  If you use BATTMAN and sync the block, it will ruin the action of the attribute(s) unless you go into the Settings in the BATTMAN dialog box and uncheck "apply changes to existing references". I am hoping Autodesk will make this a lot more user friendly.

R.L. Hamm

Message 42 of 58
Anonymous
in reply to: rhgrafix

Thank you! I'll bear in mind that for the next time 🙂
Message 43 of 58
Anonymous
in reply to: rhgrafix

Thank you! I'll bear in mind that for the next time 🙂

Message 44 of 58
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

As far keeping text orientated properly during rotation, I made a Directional Compass with text that stays oriented correctly as well as stays centered in place, when the whole block is rotated. 

I drew out my Compass and then placed a letter at each of the 4 points.  I placed a circle concentrically around each letter.  I then went to each letter separately, and made it a block.  I snapped to the circles center point as an insertion point. When selecting objects I only selected the letter, not the circle.  At the completion of each block (a single letter) I opened the block editor and selected the letter.  In the properties box, FIRST under Annotative, I selected YES. Next under Match Orientation, I selected yes.  Now I erased the circles that were around the letters.  I now I made the entire symbol a block.  Next I opened the block editor and on the Parameters tab I assigned a Rotation Parameter.  Next on the Action tab I assigned a Rotation Action.  I closed the block editor and saved the changes while doing so.

Now click once on the block and grab the circular grip to rotate the block.  The letters stay centered and orientated correctly.

Message 45 of 58
Anonymous

@steven-g Love this bit of info i JUST found from you !

Thank you !!!

Message 46 of 58
yamajama

Hi all,

The original solution worked like a charm.

In any block -

1. Create a point with a move action for the text you want to keep horizontal.
2. Create a rotation and select everything you want + include the point/move parameter of the text but exclude the text element itself.

3. Done.

Message 47 of 58

you almost had it. I went back after finishing your instructions and highlighted the radius of the rotation action and then clicked on the text that was by my geometry and added a second action to the rotation. When testing the block rotates and the text remains horizontal. 

Message 48 of 58
h_s_walker

Can you post your drawing. If you attach a point move to text and chain that point to a rotation parameter the point will move the text around the circle, but the text will remain horizontal.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 49 of 58
gccdesign

Very cool. I've tried to do this many years ago (Autocad LT) and thought it couldn't be done.

It works great.

GChapp

Message 50 of 58
prousseauCQJ6U

Hi Steven,

I know I'm replying to an old thread, but is there a way to achieve the behavior you described (automatically-rotating attribute) with a block that is itself annotative?

Message 51 of 58
gccdesign
in reply to: prousseauCQJ6U

This is actually easy to do once you know how to do it.

I decided to make a screencast for it.

(edit) Attaching screencast doesn't seem to work. So I attached a video.

GCCad

Message 52 of 58
gccdesign
in reply to: prousseauCQJ6U

Here is the screencast. 

(edit) Tried a different browser, inserting a screencast just doesn't work.

Message 53 of 58
mlanza
in reply to: Libbya

That Worked wonders for me! having to rotate TWO text areas on the same block, keeping on top of the areas and keeping horizontal while the block is rotated AND flipped!
THANKS SO MUCH!
Message 54 of 58
chriswade
in reply to: Libbya

How do I do this with an Alignment parameter instead of a rotation parameter?

According to this, it should be possible, but I can't get it working:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/simplecontent/content/use-dynamic-...

Message 55 of 58
h_s_walker

@chriswade Have you set up a text style as in the image below and are you using it for your attribute?

Capture.JPG

Howard Walker
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 56 of 58
chriswade
in reply to: h_s_walker

Yes, I have, please see attached for the outlet and the example that shows it not working right.

Message 57 of 58
h_s_walker

@chriswade There is a problem with the text style you're using (I'm not sure what). I created a new one called style1 and created a new attribute, and the text stays horizontal. See the attached drawing.

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 58 of 58
chriswade
in reply to: h_s_walker

Strange, that still doesn't work, but I did find a way to get it working; however, there is an issue.

We draw at various scales and need to size the outlet up and down accordingly, but when we scale the outlet up or down, the text scales up and down as well. For example at a 1/4" scale drawing, it would get scaled up at a scale of 48. Well, this also scales the text up by 48 and then makes in annotative. I always want the text to be the same size, no matter the scale of the block.

I know I have to be missing something obvious here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report