Community
Dynamic Blocks Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DYNAMIC BLOCKS: how to keep attributes horizontal while rotating a block?

57 REPLIES 57
SOLVED
Message 1 of 58
Anonymous
90540 Views, 57 Replies

DYNAMIC BLOCKS: how to keep attributes horizontal while rotating a block?

Hi,

I found a video with example how attributes moving with block, but remains horizontal. I cant find how to do it. Maybe somone can help me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sXzcYqnDsc&list=HL1393395570

57 REPLIES 57
Message 21 of 58
Libbya
in reply to: lamensterms

...or a reason you didn't use the step-by-step screencast I posted that shows how to easily rotate the block and mtext around a point while keeping the mtext horizontal?  

Message 22 of 58
lamensterms
in reply to: Libbya

I never realised that this was also possible with MTEXT.  Thanks for the tip Libbya.

Message 23 of 58
douglas.shortCM2W5
in reply to: Anonymous

I had homework due for class tonight and missed your video. It looks awesome tho and I will try and revamp my block with what appears to be the correct way to do this! Thanks so much for taking the time to record and post this. I've learned half a dozen programs for school this past year, but autocad is unparalleled in being unintuitive and perplexing so this sort of step-by-step guide is incredibly valuable. If it goes well, I will share with my class!
Message 24 of 58
Anonymous

I suspect whether it is a text or attribute, it is annotative with the "match text orientation to layout" option ticked.  no special plugin. 

Message 25 of 58
Anonymous

Neither method worked for me. (text or mtext attribute) Autocad LT 2015
Message 26 of 58
Libbya

So, you made a block and couldn't manage to keep your text horizontal through a rotation?  Was there some step unclear in the step-by-step screencast I posted on page 1?  The precise details on how to do it have been posted in this thread.  Considering you were not able to follow those directions and did not bother to attach the block you created (so someone could see what step you did not follow), how do you expect that it is possible for anyone to help you?

Message 27 of 58
Anonymous

Created a style as annotation and "match text orientation to layout" option ticked. Used the style to create an attribute defination within a dynamic block. Neither method (text or mtext attribute) worked for me. Autocad LT 2015 

Message 28 of 58
hwalker

Can you post a drawing with your block in it

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 29 of 58
Anonymous

Libbya, Really enjoyed your condescending attitude. It gives me real confidence in your content. Yes, after several hours of running your video, I was finally able to figure out what you were doing. It was not easy, you move too fast and I have no audio. The text did rotate, but the Created Attribute (text) is not editable with the DDATTE command. You have to edit the block if you need to change the text. (This is the same problem as using a Dimension that is overridden with text. A solution that was given in another post.) As for uploading my block, I am not allowed due to company policy.
Message 30 of 58
Libbya

No need for concern about my attitude.  Your own attitude is what ought to concern you.  You are the one petitioning for free help and also the one putting in a total of zero effort to avail yourself of the help already offered and at the same time putting in zero effort to make it easier for those who might be (might have been) willing to help you.  I will certainly avoid the impulse to ever attempt to help you in any way in the future.  

Message 31 of 58
Anonymous

Please, do not offer to help me in the future. I have spent several weeks searching for a solution, and 10 hours on your solution. We are not experts and do require a little help now and then. Your attitude is abismal. Go play in someone's else's sandbox.
Message 32 of 58
Anonymous

The annotative style method doesn't work. Dynamic blocks actions require the selected attributes to have their position locked, which makes the attribute rotate along. The point parameter method does work. You need to "lock position" of the attribute (in properties) for it to work. Also, you need to do it in the sequence described at the beginning of this thread; it might not work if you create the rotation first and then add point parameter object. 

Message 33 of 58
Libbya

The order of creating actions and parameters does not affect whether or not they work.  The ability to add items to the selection sets of pre-existing actions works fine.  

Message 34 of 58
carlos.watson

@Anonymous wrote:

When you use the grip of the rotation parameter the point parameter follows the rotation, by using the "Chain Action" the point parameter follows with the move action when you rotate.

To sum it up: You don't rotate the attribute, you only move it with the rotation angle. 

Great how-to man! Clear, concise, short, and easy to follow, with a bonus explanation at the end!

It worked as advertised for me and answered a question I've had for a few days now. You're post from years ago is still helping people learn today :fistbump: 🙂

Thank you so much!

Message 35 of 58
User_2011

The command is: TORIENT

Message 36 of 58
User_2011

try TORIENT

Message 37 of 58
rhgrafix

What software did you use to add controls to the video?? Is that Screencast? It's very cool.

Thanks,

R.L. Hamm

Message 38 of 58
Anonymous

After hours and hours of trying, I realized that it is best to unlock block attributes..

Message 39 of 58
Libbya

@Anonymous wrote:

After hours and hours of trying, I realized that it is best to unlock block attributes..

No it is not.  What nonsense.  Hours?  Seriously?  What were you doing in those hours?  Locked = yes allows attributes to be acted on by dynamic parameters/actions.  Locked = no does not.  It is very easy to get attributes to stay horizontal while being rotated if locked=yes, and impossible if locked=no.  

Message 40 of 58
Anonymous

I'm learning Autocad and it's not something really easy to learn.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost