Community
Dynamic Blocks Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DYNAMIC BLOCKS: how to keep attributes horizontal while rotating a block?

57 REPLIES 57
SOLVED
Message 1 of 58
Anonymous
90542 Views, 57 Replies

DYNAMIC BLOCKS: how to keep attributes horizontal while rotating a block?

Hi,

I found a video with example how attributes moving with block, but remains horizontal. I cant find how to do it. Maybe somone can help me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sXzcYqnDsc&list=HL1393395570

57 REPLIES 57
Message 2 of 58
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

In the video he issues the rotate command on a block and the text keeps horizontal, I think he uses some sort of plug in.

When you rotate a block all entity within that block rotates, including attributes.. If you wish to rotate the block keeping attribute horizontal you need a rotationparameter which rotates all entitys except the attribute, if you wish the attribute to follow, use a chained point parameter with a move action associated with the attribute. Then include that point parameter in the rotation.

see example:

Message 3 of 58
Anonymous

Maybe you can send older version? becouse i have autocad 2012 and i cant see it.
Message 4 of 58
Anonymous

Saved as 2010.

You can download DWG-trueview and convert 2013 files to older formats aswell.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?id=6703438&siteID=123112

Goodluck! 

Message 5 of 58
Anonymous

this is exactly what i want to do! But i need to learn what to do with point parameters, becouse i dont now how work with it I dont now how to move the point parameter. Maybe you can explain it?
Message 6 of 58
Anonymous

Place the point parameter, open properties.

Set Chain action to yes

Set grips to 0.

Set a Move action to include the attribute and associate it with the point parameter.

Next thing is to create the rotation parameter, in the action set include the objects you want to rotate ( not the attribute ) and include also the point parameter.

When you use the grip of the rotation parameter the point parameter follows the rotation, by using the "Chain Action" the point parameter follows with the move action when you rotate.

To sum it up: You don't rotate the attribute, you only move it with the rotation angle.

Heres a link to explain Chain Action:

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2010/ENU/AutoCAD%202010%20User%20Documentation/index.html?url=WS1a91938...

Heres a good guide for Dynamic Blocks:

https://www.google.se/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CE8QFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%...

Message 7 of 58
Anonymous

thank you! You really solved my problem 🙂
Message 8 of 58
Anonymous

Nice to hear 🙂

Welcome to the forums.

Message 9 of 58
Anonymous

Right on Adam!!!!Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 58
steven-g

You can get the attribute to stay straight when you rotate the complete block, in the text style manager - tick annotative followed by match text orientation to layout. (You need to do this before creating attributes - and it won't fix existing attributes).

Message 11 of 58
Anonymous

There was no sound and the vedio did not show what commands to use. I got absolutely nothing out of it.

Now...... do you hava a real vedio or tutorial of how to make a dynamic block that the text does not rotate?

Thanks

jwb@mehaeng.com

Message 12 of 58
Anonymous

I want to be able to use the tool pallete to insert a block with rotate on placement. Any Ideas?

Message 13 of 58
lamensterms
in reply to: steven-g

Great tip Steven, thanks for sharing that one.

Message 14 of 58
Anonymous

@steven-g wrote:

You can get the attribute to stay straight when you rotate the complete block, in the text style manager - tick annotative followed by match text orientation to layout. (You need to do this before creating attributes - and it won't fix existing attributes).

Steven,

That was great. I didn't know that. I may use it in future in my blocks. As you said we cannot edit attribute for this matter.

Hats off for you

Message 15 of 58
Anonymous

Thanks very much- this worked for me!

Message 16 of 58
douglas.shortCM2W5

This didn't work as explained above?

I could really use this too.

What are the exact steps?

I'm trying to get a block to rotate with lettering remaining in place and staying horizontal.  (You'd think this would be easier.  Thanks again AutoCAD aka the worst software ever invented!)

Here's what DIDN'T work:

1.  Draw a set of objects or text that will make up your block.

2.  Select text you want to stay horizontal.

3. Go to the Annotate Tab.  Click the arrow under the word text that opens the Text Style Manager.

4. Under Size, click Annotative, click Match text orientation to layout.

5.  Click Set Current

6. Click Close

7.  Command Line:  BLOCK <enter>

8.  Block Definition dialogue window opens.

9.  The cursor prompt is in the Name line.  Type in the name of the block.  

10.  Base point, click pick point.  this will take you to model space where you've drawn the block.  Pick the base point desired and click.

11.  Upon clicking, you should be back to the Block Definition dialogue window.  Now Specify the objects you want to be IN the block by clicking the select objects button.  This takes you back to Model space.  Highlight the parts of the drawing you want to have in the block.  Then hit enter.  This will take you back to the Block Definition Dialogue window.

12.  Make sure the button Convert to Block is selected.

13.  Type a description of the block if interested.

14.  If you want the block to be annotative, in the Behavior column, click annotative.

15.  Check the Open in block editor check box on the lower left corner of the Block Dialogue window.   Now hit OK. 

16.  This will take you to the Block Editor panel.

17.  Enter Parameters.  In my case it is just rotate.  Select Rotate, select a base point, then select the radius of the parameter.  Stretch the line given to the rotation radius desired and click.  Specify default rotation angle...  I just hit enter.

18.  Switch to the Action Tab and define the objects you want to rotate.  Here's where I suspect there may be some trouble.  First highlight the circumference you want to define with an action.  (Click the dotted circumference until it is highlighted.) Then hit enter.  Now select the items you want to rotate.  I clicked everything including the text since I do want to rotate relative the other parts of the block as in the youtube example above.  Hit enter.

19.  Go to the test block, and click it to see if it working.

Nope.  The text rotates along with the rest of the block and does not stay horizontal.

Message 17 of 58

Hey Doug.

I believe this only works with ATTRIBUTES, not TEXT.

Try creating a block with an attribute definition, and be sure to select your annotative text style while creating the attribute.  It will not work it you assign the annotative text style after the attribute definition has already been created.

Hope that helps.

Message 18 of 58
Libbya
in reply to: lamensterms

Message 19 of 58

Okay,  I kinda figured out a workaround.

I created a rotation on the text with the center of the text as the base point.

THEN

I created another rotation for the block itself and INCLUDED the text and the text attributes. 

What resulted is a block I can rotate and text I can adjust to be horizontal.  It's not as elegant as the youtube video where the text automatically stays horizontal, but at least it is adjustable and can look correct on your sheet.

Message 20 of 58

Is there any reason you don't want to use an attribute for this, Doug?  Level text works great with attributes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost