Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Dynamic Blocks Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dynamic block with three interdependent visibility options

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Hendrik_Heidemann
369 Views, 5 Replies

dynamic block with three interdependent visibility options

Hey everyone, 

I am trying to create a block in of a joint used for pipe connections. The pipes come in two variations, twin and single. Each type of pipe has multiple combinations of infeed (D1) and outfeed (D2). Some combinations are the same for single and twin, but the larger ones only apply to the single variant. 

My goal is a maximally easy to use block for the end user. But I have some limitations regarding the amount of work I can put into this block. 

I tried using double lookup but if I see it correctly I would have to have every possible combination in it to make it work. That would be 26 combinations for the single variant and 18 combinations for the twin variant so 416 (26 x 18) lines in my lookup, which is just too many. As I have to create more components with similar configurations. 

If at all possible I would like to avoid using attributes with text fields because I do not know of a way to make them show in the model space but not in the properties and they therefore can be meddled with. 

The version of the block I attached has all the necessary visibility states but no advanced functions. 

Maybe some of you might have an ace up there sleeve. 

Cheers

Hendrik

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Libbya
in reply to: Hendrik_Heidemann

If the linework can be dynamically adjusted for the various sizes then you don't need a visibility state for each size.  You also wouldn't need a row on the double-lookup tables for each size.  Just have single lookups for adjusting the sizes.  The double-lookup would only need the two rows that correspond to the two necessary visibility states. 

Regarding attributes being meddled with, there is no way to definitively prevent users from screwing up blocks.  If you can make it, anyone with AutoCAD can unmake it.  You can make it more challenging for others to mess up, but I typically just make the block to be the most functional that I can and then rely on education for other users in order to prevent them from screwing them up.  If they can't be educated and refuse to be cooperative, then they shouldn't be using AutoCAD.  

Message 3 of 6
Hendrik_Heidemann
in reply to: Libbya

Thank you for your response Libbya,

the linework actually does not change regardless of the state the block is in. It is all about the text shown next to the block.

I had a different version of the block which had parameters with text fields linking to a lookup. But the users did not appreciate the delayed response because you have to regenerate to update the text fields. 

I thought there might be ways to reach the desired functionality, controlling the visibility state via 3 (5) lookup states.

While I agree with you that you can not reach a point where blocks can definitely not be destroyed I would love there to be an option for attributes to be read only, so they are shown but not editable directly. As attribute values shown in the properties window do not tell the user whether they include a text field or not. 

Message 4 of 6
Libbya

If all you are changing is text, then there is no need for any visibility states.  You might want to investigate using a block properties table to write the values directly to an attribute.  You don't need to use fields and it doesn't matter if someone wipes out the attribute value with a custom one, as selecting the specific value from the BPT will write the value back anyway.  

Regarding users wiping out fields, if a user wipes out fields without a good reason even after being told not to, then that's cause for dismissal.  They don't have any business working in this field.  If you make sure that FIELDDISPLAY is set to 1 so that the gray background shows up for fields then there is no excuse.

I agree that an option to 'lock' attributes so that they can contain fields but cannot be edited outside of block editor would be helpful, but as far as I know it doesn't currently exist.  

Message 5 of 6
Hendrik_Heidemann
in reply to: Libbya

Maybe a block properties table is a valid alternative. 

I did not know that if you use parameters instead of reals for the table it won't display in the units format of the drawing. Up until now I was turned of by the block properties table because of the trailing zeroes shown in the context menu. 

I think I might give it a go. 

Thank you Libbya

On a side note I fiddled some more with double lookup together with lookups and I used in a way I have not seen before. Maybe this might be useful to some because it makes the whole process of defining value combinations a little bit more transparent. 

I am using the x and y values of a point parameter to define the state my block should be in and controlling my double lookup with that. I attached the block before cleanup so you can follow more easily what I have done. 

Through this I can control the visibility state with three lookups simultaneously.

Message 6 of 6
Libbya

It's a cool concept and kudos for coming up with it independently, but I came up with it myself quite a few years ago and have posted about it extensively on this forum.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report