Did you mean: 

Dynamic Block for adding Weld Symbols to your drawing

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
9471 Views, 9 Replies

Dynamic Block for adding Weld Symbols to your drawing

I have seen so many people searching for a dynamic block that allows you to add weld symbols quickly to your drawing, and to be quite honest, I was one of those searching for this simple solution.  I have seen many variants of what I've created here, but I found this to be the simplest and easiest block I've used to date, and not because I'm biased based on the fact I authored it:)

This is a dynamic block for AutoCAD that allows you to select from multiple common welding symbols so you can add them with ease to your drawing. You can select the flag type, the weld type, along with options to flip from left to right. Also available is the option to move the leader and stretch the tail of the symbol to accommodate for lengthy dimensional information. I authored this block mainly because AutoCAD doesn't have a built in Welding symbol library, and this was a simple solution I'm sure thousands of others have searched for.  I plan on adding contour information to the block in the near future, but for now, this will accommodate most of your notation needs, as it does mine.

Weld Types included:

Fillet
Plug/Slot
Spot/Projection
Stud
Seam
Back
Backing
Surfacing
Flange Corner
Flange Edge
Square
V-Groove
U-Groove
J-Groove
Flare V
Flare Bevel
Scarf Brazed joint

Please comment and let me know how this works for you, and if there is anything you'd like to see added or if there is some functionality you'd like to see or even dropped from the block. Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but this block does maybe two of the things you've listed in your description. And the flat end of the fillet weld "triangle" should always be on the left. And the text isn't where it should be.

Message 3 of 10
jmabrey

Here is a quick demonstration video of using the block.  The block must be inserted, either drag and drop from the downloaded location INTO your current drawing file, or via the Import function in the tool palette.  Hope this helps..

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

I apologize, here is a better video that shows it a little better.  I'm still getting used to OBS, so I haven't had enough practice recording and sharing desktop videos.  I hope this helps to clear things up a bit.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Hey JP,

Nice work on the dynamic block. Thanks.

mandygirlq, try setting mirrtext=0 😉

Message 6 of 10
jmabrey

Thank you sir!  I appreciate it

Message 7 of 10
m_rogoff

I've attached my weld block as an example. It's not the cleanest way to build it, but I used a scale action to turn the flag and triangle/text on or off. I also prefer using a Qleader arrow separate from the weld block, because I add vertex points to it occasionally. 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: m_rogoff

Thanks for this. The other block is useless when you switch it to the left as someone else already pointed out and was ignored.

Message 9 of 10
rbarbosa8DQGJ

Looks nice, but, when flipping the block, the symbol is mirroring, which is against the standard. We can't flip the fillet symbol nor its text....
Message 10 of 10
rbarbosa8DQGJ

the image for an example.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report