Did you mean: 

Dynamic block attribute field val invalid when saved in autocad 2017

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
spartan_vng
838 Views, 4 Replies

Dynamic block attribute field val invalid when saved in autocad 2017

Hi all,

I have a dynamic block that use s linear parameters to help me populate the values in some attributes.

Issue I am seeing is that in cad 2017 / 2017ae I can insert the block ...do all my edits and the field val are ok. When I save and reopen the drawing the field val turn invalid......#####.

I've been using this block for a year with no issues but once I upgraded to 2017 a week ago , I've only started seeing these issue pop up.

When I use 2016 I have no issues. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue.

Capture.PNG

Thx

Vince

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Gangula2
in reply to: spartan_vng

I'd suggest using the "Object" instead of "BlockPlaceholder" in the filed settings. Please refer the following images

Select "Object" from the list and click on Select object icon Select object icon.png . Then click on the Width/Height Linear Parameter respectively. Then choose "distance from the listed object properties.

Object parameters 1.png

Object parameters 2.png

Message 3 of 5
spartan_vng
in reply to: Gangula2

Thanks.... any particular reason why you should use object vs block placeholder?

Message 4 of 5
Libbya
in reply to: spartan_vng

I don't actually agree with the advice.  I have found block placeholder fields to be more reliable than object fields.  

On your specific issue, I don't really have a solution but will mention that I am using 2017 and I can save/reload your file and the fields remain valid.

Message 5 of 5
spartan_vng
in reply to: Libbya

Thanks Libbya for the reply. That is what I have found too. Just wanted to hear from others more knowledgeable on the topic.

As the main developer and a huge fan of dynamic blocks at my company, I need to be able troubleshoot why blocks breaks for some some users and not for others at my company.

Note, we are using autocad electrical and from what I heard and experienced is that dynamic blocks used for bom counts do not work or work poorly with AE  and the AE database. This is too bad as I can see the huge benefits of using a dynamic lookup table to select a part number vs going to database to look up a part number.(tried it and ae has huge problems handling the info and the bom reporting tools fails to include the objects)

I'm pretty sure AE is not the cause of the fields values breaking. I've only seen this a few times on my own machine but have seen it when another person opens the same drawing. ( not sure what service pack they had though)

BTW great job on the work you do for the community. appreciate all your hard work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost