Community
Dynamic Blocks Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic block angle rotation using both rotate parameter & manual rotate command

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
CAME7
354 Views, 7 Replies

Dynamic block angle rotation using both rotate parameter & manual rotate command

Hi all,

I've noticed that the dynamic rotation parameter changes the custom angle but not the 'Misc' rotation (manual command level) angle in the properties tab.

For example, rotating a block from '0' to '90' using the dynamic parameter shows '90' but doesn't update the 'Misc' rotation angle - see attachment for clarity.

Is there a way to link both rotations - so both custom angle and default rotation values will follow together? I still prefer the manual ROTATE command after 10+ years, but other operators are used to rotating the dynamic block.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
CAME7
in reply to: CAME7

see attached, thanks

Message 3 of 8
j.palmeL29YX

I think that will not be possible. The one is the angle value of the Geoemetry inside of the Block, the other is the angle value of the block reference itself. I don't see a way to "synchronize" both values (and also no sense).

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
j.palmeL29YX

@CAME7 wrote:

I still prefer the manual ROTATE command after 10+ years, but other operators are used to rotating the dynamic block..

The only what I can suggest: The one (you) should always set the custom value (Duct Rotation) to 0, the other operators should always set the Misc value (Rotation) to 0. 

Jürgen Palme
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
CAME7

It does make sense - as I stated earlier CAD operators use different methods to do the same thing (i.e. rotation)

I wanted to try and get around having to fill both values in with the rotation value for any block rotated but if that's the only way then so be it

Message 6 of 8
j.palmeL29YX

@CAME7 wrote:

It does make sense ...

Assuming you open a file with such a block inserted. In the past (you don't know what was done) the user rotated the geometry with the rotation parameter to 20°, additional the block reference itself was rotated to 30°.  That means you see the block geometry 50° rotated. Which value would you expect to see (and to set) in the properties panel? To get an expected result one of the both values must be 0. (or as example you want to get 50°, you must set any two values whose sum is 50  But that is completely nonsense). 

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
Libbya

IMO it is a much better practice to use the Custom rotation within the block for the very simple reason that there can be multiple custom rotations within a dynamic block and moreover, editing the rotation of the block itself will often ruin dynamic properties by skewing text rotation, angle ranges within lookups, etc...  As the dynamic blocks get more complicated this issue can become more and more significant.  

For example, I have this electrical switch symbol block that I use:

capture_001_07062024_091414.jpg

In the image the top row's main dynamic rotation is 0.  In the second row it is 30° and in the bottom row it is 120°.  Notice that the D and 3 designations always read upright.  Also notice that the main symbol of the bottom row that is rotated 120° do not show as upside down.  If someone adds switches in the first visibility state and inconsiderately rotates them using the ROTATE command (or Misc Rotation in properties) rather than using the dynamic rotation (Custom Rotation in properties) it completely ruins those automatic functions and is an obnoxious PITA to fix.  In that first visibility state the issue isn't obvious, but if the switch then gets changed to one of the other visibility states later in the design process it just causes added work and frustration.

Message 8 of 8
CGBenner

@CAME7 Did the information provided answer your question? If so, please use Accept Solution so that others may find this in the future. Thank you very much!

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost