Did you mean: 

Custom unit format in AutoCAD

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1280 Views, 4 Replies

Custom unit format in AutoCAD

Is it possible to create a custom unit format? I'd like to display door sizes as Feet, then superscript/underlined Inches. Is that possible?

P.S. I'm using a dynamic block with a text object containing a field that references the door width.  I'd really like it if that field would update without me having to regenerate the model, so if you know what's up with that I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

@Anonymous

john.vellek has edited your subject line for clarity: Custom unit format?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member to the AutoCAD forum. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

You can certainly set your drawing units to Feet using -DWGUNITS and UNITS if that is the primary unit you want to display.  For the inches portion you might consider a Field with some formatting applied.  Can you share a file and maybe an example of the desired outcome?

As far as the Field in your block updating, here is an article that describes the options that are available.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Thanks John! I appreciate the support everyone shows here.

I've attached an example of what I'm going for. Maybe that will make more sense. I'll keep looking into your other suggestions in the meantime.

Thanks again,
Sam

Message 4 of 5
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for the drawing file.  This now makes more sense.  I don't think there is an in-the-box way to do this.  Maybe a diesel string could be applied in a formula to evaluate whether the length is a multiple of 12 and then the remainder could be applied to another field.  Sounds a bit tricky.

Another idea is to use fixed size blocks in your dynamic block so the label would be a fixed piece of text for each door size in a visibility state.  This could perhaps make a door schedule easier to extract as well.

I am going to move this thread to the Dynamic BLocks forum for additional suggestions.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 5
hwalker

Two multiline text boxes with fields and a bit of fiddling.

Here you go. You still need to do a field update though

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report