Create block with deviation against X and Y axis as variable dimensions

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
sam_hough5YVZF
318 Views, 8 Replies

Create block with deviation against X and Y axis as variable dimensions

Hi, 

I'm wondering if you could help me. I'm looking to create a block as you can see attached. The idea is to insert the block at a given point, drag one / two grips and have it throw into an attdef text box the deviation in the X and Y relative to the blocks origin NOT the insertion point coordinates. 

Idea is to insert this block on say a column, use a rotation parameter to swing the block's 'X Axis' to align to the gridline of columns, then drag the two / one grip onto the as built corner of said column and the block show a deviation in distance from design (where the block will be inserted) to where the as built data has been shown.

Hard to explain, but looking at the image below, green being design and red being as built, there is a 5mm offset on the blocks Y axis, and the text reports 5, and the X axis is 0, and the text reports as much.

sam_hough5YVZF_0-1690489142008.jpeg

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Libbya
in reply to: sam_hough5YVZF

@sam_hough5YVZF wrote:

I'm wondering if you could help me. I'm looking to create a block as you can see attached. The idea is to insert the block at a given point, drag one / two grips and have it throw into an attdef text box the deviation in the X and Y relative to the blocks origin NOT the insertion point coordinates. 

What you're asking for here doesn't make sense to me.  The block's insertion point is the block's origin (unless you cycle the grips for an alternate insertion point).  

Message 3 of 9
sam_hough5YVZF
in reply to: Libbya

Yes, the block origin and insertion point is fine - I don’t want it to report as deviation in millimetres from MODEL origin, it all needs to be relative to block insertion/origin

Message 4 of 9
Libbya
in reply to: sam_hough5YVZF

What is your question?

Message 5 of 9
sam_hough5YVZF
in reply to: Libbya

How do I do it I guess…. I’m not sure what’s the best way to do this. 

Message 6 of 9

If I understand you right you only need to add some assoziative dimensions in the block definition. 

To rotate the block I added a Rotation Parameter and action.

Also two attributes. (command REGEN to update their values)

You can modify this all so it meets your goal.

[EDIT]: attachment updated

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 9

Thanks! That's exactly what I'm after. any way for it to present a -/+?

Message 8 of 9

@sam_hough5YVZF wrote:

any way for it to present a -/+?

That needs a completely other strategy for solution. 

See attached attempt. 

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 9

That's perfect. Thanks! 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost