Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Dynamic Blocks Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

combination of 3 dynamic blocks into 1 Mrs Zarina Popa

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
zarina_popa
397 Views, 6 Replies

combination of 3 dynamic blocks into 1 Mrs Zarina Popa

Greetings. I have created three dynamic metric blocks, M12, M16, and M20, using visibility states. Each block works fine individually, but I want to combine them into one dynamic block with two visibility states. The first state should allow me to select the bolt type, and the second state should allow me to choose the size. How can I achieve this? I would appreciate any guidance or instructions. I have attached the file for reference.

[ The subject line of this post has been edited for clarity by @pendean Original: Mrs Zarina Popa ]
Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: zarina_popa

I don't see a way to "combine" these three blocks to a new block as you expect. 

Furthermore, in dynamic blocks it is not a good practice to draw a lot of different variants and choose the needed variant from a list of "hundreds" of visibility states, if they differ only in their dimensions. The advantage of Dynamic blocks is, to draw ONE exemplar of the geometry, and then add dynamic parameters and actions to drive the dimensions of this model. To do that you can use either dynamic parameters and actions

Dynamic Parameters and actions.png

or you use the "Parametric" (geometric and dimensional constraints). 

Parametric.png

In the attached dwg I show you an example how you can solve your issue using the second method. (I think some others will jump in here to show you how such blocks can be designed using the first method). Try to explore how it works, if you have questions - ask. 

In the block table I included only the first three and the last three length's of the screws. You can add the missing rows for all the remaining sizes yourselfe. 

Feel free to ask if you have further questions.

[EDIT]: 

An additional note: Some of your block (I didn't check all) seem (for me) to be drawn wrong. M12-65 to M12-120 are 0.15 to long, M12-150 to M12-180 are 5 mm to short. Or I'm missing something?

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
Libbya

X2 on what jpalmel is saying!  Using a different visibility state for each size extremely inefficient.  It takes more time to create, a LOT more time to add more sizes later on, consumes extra memory, etc...  Instead, modify the linework with the appropriate parameters/actions or constraints.  You don't need to use ANY visibility states at all in order to create a block that accommodates all the sizes.  If AutoDesk still supported Screencast I would make a video, but alas, you're on your own.

Message 4 of 7
zarina_popa
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

Thank you for your response. Sizes seem to be fine.

Regarding your answer - thank you for the example.

Could I ask your opinion if there is any other way to make 3 blocks as 1 (I may start them from the beginning not a problem) so they look as my "Steel" example so it is clear for my team the type and the size.

Thank you, I appreciate your time

Message 5 of 7
j.palmeL29YX

If you mean with "type" the different diameters (type M12, type M16 and type M20) and with "size" you mean the different lengths - yes, that can be done in a way that you have one grip (pull down list) to select the type (Mxx) and a second grip (pull down list) to choose the size (the length).  

If you can confirm if I understand you right and this handling will be more "clear for your team" I can create a video on the weekend how to do that. 

Jürgen Palme
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
j.palmeL29YX

@zarina_popa wrote:

... is any other way to make 3 blocks as 1 ... so they look as my "Steel" example

Even if you didn't yet aswer my last question - here a video how you can build such blocks.

In the lookup tables I inserted only a few rows (sizes) for demonstration. I'm sure you can easily add the missing rows yourselfe. 

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
zarina_popa
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

This really helps! Thank you so much for your support! 😊

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report