Community
Dynamic Blocks Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block with changeable dynamic blocks inside?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
tcoppens84SWP
258 Views, 2 Replies

Block with changeable dynamic blocks inside?

In AutoCAD LT, I have a block of an I/O card that has multiple channels. Each channel of the card can have its functionality changed between two options. I want the ability to toggle each channel individually in model space without having to go into the block editor. I've tried nesting a dynamic block with the two channel choices (visibility parameter) inside the card block, and it will properly toggle inside the block editor for the card block, but the channel block cannot be toggled from outside the card block. Is there a way to do this?

Attached is the test file I've been tinkering with.

Labels (5)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Libbya
in reply to: tcoppens84SWP

You cannot affect nested dynamic blocks without entering block editor.  All insertions of the host block in model space will change accordingly.  There's not getting around that.

You can certainly make your block have the functionality you desire though.  

See screencast.

Message 3 of 3

Thanks for your response. Sadly, the drawing I provided was a test file. The real I/O card I'm working with has four sections with 8 channels each, which would equate to 256 total combinations I'd have to enter into the visibility parameters.

Since the time I posted this question, I came up with a decent solution. I made a base block which contains everything except the dynamic terminal blocks, then placed eight copies of the dynamic terminal blocks where they would usually go in the base drawing. Then I grouped all nine blocks together in an explodeable block. Plop the overall block, explode, and change the terminals. 

I appreciate your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost