attributed field "default" value not showing showing up

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
3649 Views, 7 Replies

attributed field "default" value not showing showing up

Hello everyone.

I wanted to do something very simple and just input automatic page numbers.

After using ATTDEF i created the field and was sure to check off "preset" so that it would should the "default" field (which would be the sheet number in the sheet set manager).

However the fields only show what i put in for the "tag" line. Ive tried making a new drawing file, and starting fresh. Still the same issue. I changed FIELDEVAL  to 16.... 

Is there something Im missing?

I'm new to posting in here. sorry if I sound like a Newb

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Libbya
in reply to: Anonymous

Post the block.  

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Libbya

Im not sure if this helps. I a drawing file that i tested it in . I don'w know how to attach the block alone. Also, the "default" value does show the correct value. in this case i only have one sheet so it shows "1" or "####" in the model space when im looking in the editor. but the block on the sheet or in the model space only shows the text i put in the tag line.

Message 4 of 8
Libbya

You may be confusing attributes with blocks.  Attributes will display their value when they are WITHIN a block.  When they are not housed within a block or when you are within block editor they will display their tag.  In the file you posted, your attributes are not within blocks, they are just attributes in model or paper space and so they correctly display their tags. 

Message 5 of 8
Libbya

The following screencast might help explain.  You can see that when the attributes are just in paper space, they display their tags.  When I create a block from the attributes, they display the tag values in block editor and then display their values when I exit to paper space.  New insertions of the block show the attribute default values on insertion.  

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Wow thank you very much for that explanation and again sorry i am new at this. But I have another question i guess moving forward. Generally I've seen title blocks used as a file that is x-refd into your paper space. 

Are blocks able to update when they are brought in through an x-ref? If so how?

I tried just putting the page number in the title block file importing that to the sheet, and on the sheet all i see is "####". when i put the block directly on the sheet i see the correct page number.

Message 7 of 8
Libbya

If you add an x-ref, then blocks in the x-ref are not 'brought in'.  They exist in the x-ref and any fields that are referenced by blocks in the x-ref will reference those fields from the x-ref only.  In other words, if you have a block containing a sheet set field and that block is in a file that is not a sheet in the sheet set, when you x-ref that file onto a sheet, the block sheet set field will not display as though it is on the sheet.  It will display exactly as it did in the x-ref file.  

There are a few ways to go with title blocks.  You could have a title block file that is an x-ref.  You could also have a block for your title block and insert that block directly.  You can also have a combination of the two.  I actually use the combo.  Items that need to display the same for all sheets go in the x-ref file.  Items that need to display differently on a per sheet basis go in the block that I place on the sheet.  Those per-sheet items include the sheet number, sheet description, sheet index number, etc...  The items that go in the x-ref file are the project address, titleblock layout lines, revision dates, etc...

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Ok that is very clear. Thank you for your time and your insight! You really helped me out today

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report