Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Dynamic Blocks Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arraying Attributes inside a Dynamic Block without using Visibilities

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1248 Views, 6 Replies

Arraying Attributes inside a Dynamic Block without using Visibilities

Hi,

I am currently working with a block that displays certain components for electrical drawings. On this block, I want the user to have a lookup table they interact with that lets them choose how many, up to 4, of an element that is displayed on a line. I know I can use a linear parameter with an array, and then have distance increments. However, with this element, I also have two different attributes that need to array with them. I have tried to look up on Autodesk for solutions, and have found some that say to use a visibility. (They all link the sample drawing below) My problem is that I have another element of this block already using a visibility in this drawing, and I can not have those interfering with one another.

So I'm wondering if anyone can help me find a way to array attributes within a dynamic block WITHOUT using a visibility.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Libbya
in reply to: Anonymous

Post your block with a detailed description showing the exact functionality you're looking for.  

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Libbya

Basically I would like the attributes related to the linear array parameter to array with the objects themselves.

Message 4 of 7
Libbya

In order to function correctly, each attribute must have its own unique name.  Because of this, you cannot array attributes as the copies all have the same name.  There's probably a workaround in order to display what you want, but without more details, I'd just be guessing.  If you are only wanting a total of 4 then there is definitely a workaround that would involve a visibility state for each and a double lookup to switch.  Confirm and I will post it.

Here are some other notes on your block.  All attributes within a dynamic block should have their property locked=yes.  You will have issues if they do not.  If you want to be able to move them, then add a dynamic position parameter and move action to each.

You have the 'custom' line on your lookup because your as-drawn parameter sizes to do match a row on your lookup table.  Draw your linework and parameters so they match one of the rows and the 'custom' will go away.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Yes a visibility parameter would work to hide/show the desired objects, but I am already planning to use a visibility with another element of the block. I was looking for another solution, so they wouldn't interfere.

I ended up just using a visibility for the DS(s) and an insert for the Relay contact. And I also followed your advice and corrected the properties you pointed out.

Thank You

Message 6 of 7
Libbya

Yes, I was aware that you were already using the visibility states.  Despite that, I can make it functionally seamless so it 'will not interfere'.   

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Thank you for the video explanation! Your solution for my block issue works perfectly for what I need it for. I have learned a lot from this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report