Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch lines not recognized for profile

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Noah_Katz
2815 Views, 18 Replies

Sketch lines not recognized for profile

As seen in the screencast, the 11.5 dia circle isn't recognized for the profile whether it's projected or explicitly drawn.

What am I doing wrong?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
etfrench
in reply to: Noah_Katz

Most likely it's not the top surface.  Turn visibility off on all items except the sketch containing the circle.  Once the circle has been selected, you can turn visibility back on if needed for the extrusion operation (join, cut, extrude to, etc.).

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 3 of 19
Noah_Katz
in reply to: etfrench

I didn't think of that, but actually it is the top surface

Message 4 of 19
etfrench

Why didn't you extrude it after you had selected it and opened the extrude dialog?

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 5 of 19
HughesTooling

It looks like you have 2 profiles at that level and Fusion's picking the other one first. Click and hold the mouse button down until you get the selection menu then pick the one you want.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 19
Noah_Katz

Why didn't you extrude it after you had selected it and opened the extrude dialog?

Because I want the circle with the cutouts.

Message 7 of 19
HughesTooling

The cutouts are in a different sketch, you need to project them into the sketch with the circle.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 19
Noah_Katz
in reply to: HughesTooling

Ah, I assumed that edges from the face I'm sketching on are automatically  included, like my previous CAD.

Wait, that's true, as one of the profiles does include the cutouts.

I activated the part I'm sketching on and tried it again, with exactly the same result, as shown in the screencast.

Gotta go now, will check back in several hours, or maybe I can answer w/the app.

Message 9 of 19
HughesTooling

In your first screencast is there a chance you had a sketch visible when you create the new sketch?

before.png

If you have a sketch still visible on top of the body when you pick you might select the sketch and you don't seem to get autoproject from a sketch.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 10 of 19
TheCADWhisperer

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 11 of 19
Noah_Katz
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Apparently not; the only types shown for export are IGES, STEP, SAT, and SMT.

Message 12 of 19
etfrench

Archive File (*.f3d) should be available.  Save the file locally, then attach to forum thread.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 13 of 19
Noah_Katz

Ah, I missed the message that popped up at the lower right saying I had to break all links (why the heck don't they persist long enough to notice/read them?).

Message 14 of 19
Noah_Katz

Just noticed that I had two sketches on the part; I deleted both, tried again, and it worked.

I backed up and checked the first sketch, and it had nothing in it, so not sure why that would matter.

Just for kicks I deleted the new component and did everything I did the first time, and it worked.

Could it have something to do with deleting the last link and/or exporting?

When I first deleted the link I had tried it again and I thought it worked, so I backed up and did it again during a screencast, but then it didn't work again.

Message 15 of 19
HughesTooling

If you had another sketch visible and picked the face it was on the sketch will be used as the plane for the new sketch not the surface and you will not get any edges projected from the surface. Was the sketch you deleted really empty, a sketch created on a face will have all the edges of the face projected in when it's created. 

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 16 of 19
HughesTooling

Just downloaded your file and you have 3 sketches visible the none of the sketches are empty or is there another one?

Screencast shows the curves in the sketches.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 17 of 19
Noah_Katz

Mark, that's it, thanks!

I didn't realize that all visible (at least according to their light bulbs; see below) sketches were in play; I thought it was only the currently active one.

But I guess as soon as Extrude etc. is selected, the sketch is closed and any visible sketch is fair game.

Mot plt was the very first part I made, and of course neglected to create a new component first, so the sketch is stuck belonging to the base component.

It doesn't help that Sketch 16 is only visible when the cursor is moved over it; any idea why that is?

Message 18 of 19
HughesTooling

As a quick test try this, create a body can be just a cube. Create a new sketch and select a face, without drawing anything stop the sketch and hide the body. You should see a shaded profile and if you move the mouse over the edges the edge lines will highlight. I don't like auto project and have turned it off in preferences if I want all the edge curves I press P and select the face but I like to keep my sketches neat so generally I just project in lines and points I need.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 19 of 19
Noah_Katz

Ah ok.

The part geometry is actually in the first sketch so not sure why Sketch 16 is even there; probably just newbie klutzing around.

I don't like auto project and have turned it off in preferences if I want all the edge curves I press P and select the face but I like to keep my sketches neat so generally I just project in lines and points I need.

Good to know.

Is there a way to project connected edges, like the ones defining the cutouts?

I tried double-clicking and ctl but that didn't do it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report