Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help us help you create better 2D drawings!

98 REPLIES 98
Message 1 of 99
TimeraAutodesk
490968 Views, 98 Replies

Help us help you create better 2D drawings!

Hey all,

Here’s another opportunity for you to influence how we develop the 2D drawings experience! 

We want to do some comparative analysis of our internal drawings against your real-world drawings – created from Fusion or (even more interesting) from your other CAD packages. 

Feel free to reply to this thread with your drawings. If you want to keep your drawings confidential, email them to me directly at timera.hart@autodesk.com and we will keep them safe. Any and all examples of drawings you're making today to get your job done would be super helpful to us as we keep our eye on the prize of fullfilling our promise to rounding out the drawings environment.

We on the drawings team are still hard at work to bring you some great new features in the upcoming releases, with a bunch happening on June 22 (mentioned at the bottom of the June 8 what’s new post).

Timera

98 REPLIES 98
Message 2 of 99

Timera, You have my full permission to dig thru my entire sketch library on here if you'd like, and I will even upload all of my 'svg' files that are part of it. I'm a hobbyist who uses this all the time to design stuff, or tweak stuff, etc. Lots of one offs for friends. I use a lot of 2D in my carving. You might really enjoy the stuff i've done.
Message 3 of 99

Hi @dregalia2014 - thanks so much for your willingness to help! We are looking for samples of Manufacturing Drawings, not necessarily vector sketches, do you have samples of those as well? 

Message 4 of 99
hendrix8
in reply to: TimeraAutodesk

why I need made model in the CAD ( Vectorworks ) first ? as it need to accurate jointing with other structure .

360 is great to drawing something  on it own , but if need to coordinate with other drawing .

I feel it lack of easy to use snapping tools to drawing some thing can accurate jointing with other structure already done by Vectorworks

and no layer made not easy to management .

hope 360 can add more snapping tools and  layer management .

it feeling tired if every time I need to move / resize /  snapping some other item , need to set a command to tell 360 i going to do that .

Vectorworks is much work like Adobe illustrator , can just point to the a corner of a rectangle , hold it and  move / resize /  snapping to midpoint of a circle , And it done .

Youtube : Vectorworks The Basics - 04 - Snapping

Thousands of this action need to move on doing drawing like this , and I feel it very tired if do it in 360 

Message 5 of 99
Coscor_NPL

Hi Timera

I have sent you an e-mail with part files and drawings, hope it helps!

Keep up the good work! 2D drawings need some work in Fusion360...

Message 6 of 99
O.Tan
in reply to: hendrix8

I just checked VectorWorks and it seems to be more towards the architecture industry which is something Fusion isn't designed/meant for.

Sure you can model things to suit the industry but it'll most likely lack the tools that you'll found in other BIM softwares.

Fusion is more of the next step from traditional 3D CAD like SolidWorks, Inventor, SolidEdge.

So if you're doing BIM professionally, I suggest you to look at other solutions.

Omar Tan
Malaysia
Mac Pro (Late 2013) | 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 | 12GB 1.8 GHz DDR3 ECC | Dual 2GB AMD FirePro D300
MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2016) | 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16GB 2.1 GHz LPDDR3 | 4GB AMD RadeonPro 460
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Message 7 of 99
hendrix8
in reply to: O.Tan

Hi

it not just more towards the architecture industry

I have design a robot using it , it has thousands of small parts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m25nn1ZiGc

so effort less to do move / resize / snapping to some other item with easy to change anchor Points is key features , as it need to operating millions time in a project.

can also look at illustrator , it not BIM softwares, just 2D as we talk about here, but work the same way.
adobe illustrator snapping tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEO_GAle78I

Vectorworks Basic Tutorial #8 Object Info Manager
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRTZ-qJjj_4
anchor Points and snapping

Message 8 of 99
WyzeOwl

Flexibility is key. I have had to go back to Geomagic simply because A360 does not have the ability to have a drawing format changed to a user-defined layout. I have clients that insist on their drawing pages with blocks be used - only. However you update the drawings package, if it does not have the ability to be rearranged to any non-standard format, I cannot use it. this means I can only use A360 for play time - not for real work, detailing needs to be addressed. ALL details (costs, material, colour, model number, revision, date, part name, part number - the whole detail list) from modeling needs to be brought through to the BOM and also integrated automatically into the title block and any other note blocks that are added to the detail sheets - which needs to be driven by modeling. All details of drawings should be derived from the initial sketch, modeling and assembly drawings. In fact, detailing a drawings page should be simply a matter of opening the part into a drawing where the information automatically populates the drawing. The only thing left to do is review for modeling/fit/form/function/dimension mistakes. Otherwise, it should simply be a matter of open the part in a drawing and print to pdf or dwg. I have attached samples of drawings done in Geomagic. Even at the low level of Geomagic, it far out-classes Fusion in this respect - which is embarrassing. We all know that the changes that we are asking for are coming. We are just impatient.
Message 9 of 99
rderskine

I have been using Inventor for the past 6 years and one feature that I use and would like to see in fusion is the retrieve dimensions feature including hole, thread, Etc. Also being able to change these Dimensions in the drawing and having it link back and change the part. I will take some time and see if there might be some other change that would be helpful in fusion.

Message 10 of 99
O.Tan
in reply to: hendrix8

aah, so your ideas are more related to the sketch module and not 2D Drawings or Drafting in other CADs.

I would suggest you to post this up in IdeaStation as the thread specifically is about 2D Drawings, not 2D Sketch.

Omar Tan
Malaysia
Mac Pro (Late 2013) | 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 | 12GB 1.8 GHz DDR3 ECC | Dual 2GB AMD FirePro D300
MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2016) | 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16GB 2.1 GHz LPDDR3 | 4GB AMD RadeonPro 460
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Message 11 of 99
TimeraAutodesk
in reply to: WyzeOwl

Thank you so much for this detailed response, we sincerely appreciate it and will put it to good use.

-Timera
Message 12 of 99

I'm hoping for a "create your own template" feature to our drawings.

Message 13 of 99

@ThiagoGomes_, the team has been working on the template project for several months now, and we are anticipating being ready to release it in the next couple of updates, so stay tuned!

Best,

Timera

Message 14 of 99

Pretty much sum up everything in attached drawing.

This is the list.

1. Ability to rotate view when create drawing. (Important for optimize space)

2.Align centerline. (A lot of design need this.)

3. Adjustable color, type, size of any line. (Not so important in formal drawing but important in some special case)

4. Ability to add another model in to drawing. (Some drawing consist more than one product in it. Not assembly but as separate part)

5. Auxiliary view. (A must)

6. Chamfer dimension. (A must)

7. Welding symbol. (Very important)

8. Section view indicator that can snap parallel or perpendicular to drawing line. (For more precision and control over angular shape)

9. Ability to manually create drawing with out model. (Sometime is need. For ex when two part have very similar shape. Manually add or delete line will save a lot of time)

10. Detail view from section view. (A must, even it again standard drawing rule)

11. Fake dimension. (Sometime this is a must. Especially when urgent change is need)

12. Intersection point dimension. (With out this some drawing is absolutely impossible to draw.

I face this problem recently and have to apologize my customer and tell them I need to use their drawing and correct it by hand because CAD limitation.

It quite embarrassing to do that)

13. Ability to delete or change style of section view hatch line. (Need for clean and clear drawing)

14. Ability to create my own table, back ground title, format. (No need to tell how important this one is)

Will come here again if other problem come to my mind.

Regard

Message 15 of 99

sketching a parralel line. click line click direction enter distance and i got nothing. moving an object is having the same results. sometimes i cant enter the offset number at all. 

@TimeraAutodesk wrote:

Hey all,

Here’s another opportunity for you to influence how we develop the 2D drawings experience! 

We want to do some comparative analysis of our internal drawings against your real-world drawings – created from Fusion or (even more interesting) from your other CAD packages. 

Feel free to reply to this thread with your drawings. If you want to keep your drawings confidential, email them to me directly at timera.hart@autodesk.com and we will keep them safe. Any and all examples of drawings you're making today to get your job done would be super helpful to us as we keep our eye on the prize of fullfilling our promise to rounding out the drawings environment.

We on the drawings team are still hard at work to bring you some great new features in the upcoming releases, with a bunch happening on June 22 (mentioned at the bottom of the June 8 what’s new post).

Timera

surfcam has got the 2d in stone. very easy.  i am impressed more with the fusion cam but the 2d drawing is needing work. one cnc started out like surfcam then went to a more of a bobcad  format. i bought one cnc due to the lack of trials and was very dissapointed and got a refund. bobcad actually seems easier to 2d draw than fusion. i could be missing something here in what im doing or i did have some problems downloading.  in the job shop its very helpful to put together some line and arcs to create a 2d path. a lot of time we dont get step file or others and sometimes when we do they are fragmented and corrupted with lines and arcs. i actually own surfcam and rely on it heavily for the 2d quick paths. i would like to just use one. any help or suggestions?

@TimeraAutodesk wrote:

Hey all,

Timera

Message 16 of 99
O.Tan

Sorry for the late response, but just emailed some drawings to your email

Omar Tan
Malaysia
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Message 17 of 99

@magpiemachining wrote:

sketching a parralel line. click line click direction enter distance and i got nothing. moving an object is having the same results. sometimes i cant enter the offset number at all. 

surfcam has got the 2d in stone. very easy.  i am impressed more with the fusion cam but the 2d drawing is needing work. one cnc started out like surfcam then went to a more of a bobcad  format. i bought one cnc due to the lack of trials and was very dissapointed and got a refund. bobcad actually seems easier to 2d draw than fusion. i could be missing something here in what im doing or i did have some problems downloading.  in the job shop its very helpful to put together some line and arcs to create a 2d path. a lot of time we dont get step file or others and sometimes when we do they are fragmented and corrupted with lines and arcs. i actually own surfcam and rely on it heavily for the 2d quick paths. i would like to just use one. any help or suggestions?

This thread is about producing 2d technical drawing in the drawing workspace not about how the sketches in the model workspace work. I suggest you start a thread and ask questions about the above.

And just a note. Fusion works more like Solidworks or Inventor when it comes to sketching, it not wrong it just different I doubt it will change much so you will need to unlearn what you know. When you get a grasp on how parametric sketch work you'll find them far more powerful than sketches in BobCAD or AutoCAD\Rhino, and yes I have used those programs.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 18 of 99

@sajjapongse - thank you! this is exactly the kinds of feedback and examples we were looking for. I will personally keep you updated when we have progress on these items.
Message 19 of 99
DonCheke

Here is a set of drawings I created for a cabinet bed.

Very important:

User created title blocks

Tables

BOM

Markers

Multi Drawing Breaks

Not so much used in this drawing but symbols, symbols, symbols.

PS: Here is a video of the bed in action.

Best regards,
Don Cheke
Visit: My Fusion 360 Gallery
http://www.textualcreations.ca/Flash_Gallery_Fusion/Fusion_Gallery.html
Message 20 of 99

Thank you mark. As it turns out there may be a file hanging up causing me to have issues in the learning curve. It was very confusing as I thought the drawing was easy to pick up on being like solid works then I started having problems and was convinced I was doing something wrong. Hasn't been confirmed what it is yet but there are others reporting the same problem. I was very pleased with the cam in fusion. The adaptive paths work very well when cutting harder and tougher materials. Thank you for the response and support.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report