Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG Versions using Drawing Outputs

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mdhadz
1003 Views, 4 Replies

DWG Versions using Drawing Outputs

Is it possible to change the dwg version for drawing outputs?

We outsource a lot of small components and our manufacturer has asked if we can produce dwg files compatible with Autocad 2011.

As it is the first time am I using this I am unsure as to whether this can be changed!?

Thanks

Marc

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cmiller66
in reply to: mdhadz

Hi Marc,

I'm assuming you are using Output DWG to save out a Fusion drawing.  As you've found, this saves out 2013 format dwg.

Is the manufacturer you are working with using AutoCAD 2011 to view drawings or are there expectations of editing?  We have a free viewer, DWG TrueView (you can download from here: http://www.autodesk.com/products/dwg/viewers) which allows opening/viewing of these drawings as well as DWG Convert functionality.  If they only want to view the drawing, they could download and use this.

I used DWG TrueView to save out to 2010 DWG then open in AutoCAD 2011 with mixed results.  The issue is the drawing view objects we use in Fusion didn't exist in AutoCAD 2011, so in some cases you get reasonable Proxy graphics, in other cases views are missing or skewed.

Since they want a DWG and not PDF there is some additional functionality they are expecting?

Thanks,
Chris

Message 3 of 5
mdhadz
in reply to: cmiller66

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply!

Primarily they need the file in dwg so that they can feed the file directly into their cnc machine. The software they use for this only accepts AutoCad 2011 dwg files at the moment.

I will look into the DWG TruView options .

Regards
Marc
Message 4 of 5
cmiller66

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the info, that is what I was thinking they probably wanted it for.  There are a few other threads in this forum about export to DXF, but currently this isn't supported in drawings (we do have it on our To Do list).  Using a current version of AutoCAD it is possible to get the drawing geometry into model space so it can be used, but it's not very straightforward.  Basically you need to output the drawing from Fusion, open in AutoCAD, then use EXPORTLAYOUT (since all the drawing views are in paper space) and EXPLODE (on the resulting blocks) then erase/keep what you want.

If there's a certain profile or shape you want to convert to dxf, definitely the cleanest/most straightforward way is to export the sketch to DXF directly from the Model environment:

Sketch.png

I just verified this saves out a Release 14 DXF file, which they can then use directly.

Hopefully this helps, please let me know if that works for you.

Thanks,
Chris

Message 5 of 5
parametric3d

I am sure this has been explored and maybe brought up somewhere else...A work-around for sure, but it works...

Done in a newer version of AutoCAD this can be done after the Export is made/completed in Fushion360.

Also, discovered only one other Non-Autodesk program that can do the same, but

I will suggest AutoCAD and this evening I am going to ask that someone tries this in AutoCAD-Lite!

1.) OPEN exported File in AutoCAD

2.) Go to the Layout Tab

3.) At the Layout tab that you just selected, right click and "Save to Model Space"

4.) When asked, save to a new file select "YES"

5.) Find and Open, "hint" same directory and will be the same "name of file" & "layout name"

6) When open check "Units" and "Scaling" should be okay and proceed with clean-up for what is needed

7.) Be sure to Save as the version of AutoCAD needed

Finished

Works well if only needed for one or two files, but Suggest a script file for more than that...just an idea

Hope this helps!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report