Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Insert .dxf file - Fusion Not Responding Message

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
oldtbone55
2058 Views, 9 Replies

Can't Insert .dxf file - Fusion Not Responding Message

I'm unable to insert a .dxf file into Fusion. When I try I get the message 'Fusion Not Responding' and I have to close Fusion down because it's in a loop trying to figure out what to do. Is this a glitch with Fusion or is something wrong with my .dxf file? Please see attached file.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
HughesTooling
in reply to: oldtbone55

Your file's not going to be a lot of use in Fusion, it's made from line segments there are no splines or circles. Looking at it in Rhino it is made from almost 9,000 line segments.

Clipboard05.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
etfrench

I also didn't have any problem inserting it in Fusion 360. It just takes a long time.  I didn't mention it in the other thread because it doesn't have any information that will help you machine the body.

Opening multiple threads for the same project makes it hard to keep track of the answers.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
oldtbone55
in reply to: etfrench

I appreciate that but it actually would have been helpful to know that the .dxf file wouldn't be of help. I'm chasing something down a rabbit hole otherwise. Hughes Tooling gave me the most direct answer and to the point. This just means that I'm going to have to be creative in making the sketches for the geometry I will need to machine rather than looking for help in a useless file. My apologies if I duplicated my posting. I did at least learn about dxf files.

Message 5 of 10
oldtbone55
in reply to: HughesTooling

Thanks Hughes Tooling. Your answer was direct and to the point. Just what I was looking for. Now I won't waste any more of my time trying to use a useless file.

Message 6 of 10
HughesTooling

@oldtbone55 What program made the DXF and does it have any other options for exporting splines. The file does actually contain circles so it not quite as bad as I thought. If you split the file up a bit you might be able to use it for 2d toolpath, I hadn't seen your other post, I thought you wanted to make a 3d model. If you can edit the file I'd delete the text labels as each label is made from about 1000 curves.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 10

@oldtbone55 I've attached an edited version of your DXF. I removed all the labels and created layers for each label and moved the parts to the new layers. When you import using InsertDXF select one sketch per layer. Hiding sketches you're not working with will speed Fusion up. I've also attached an F3D file with the sketches imported.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
oldtbone55

Mark, thanks very much. The file, as far as I know, was created in Rhino. You'll have to excuse my newness to the CAD world; I'm just learning. The dxf file was just one big file I guess for the whole guitar. My understanding was that I needed these 'sketch' files for the geometry, otherwise you couldn't create any toolpaths. I had originally been trying to create toolpaths from the model and had been able to do so up to a point. Then I couldn't get some of the toolpaths for parts of the geometry to work and kept getting 'No Toolpath Created' No toolpaths to link' messages. That's when I found out about the dxf file.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Message 9 of 10
HughesTooling

@oldtbone55 Looking at your post in the CAM forum you will be better off using the solid models rather than the DXF. If you need sketches for some 2d ops you shouldn't have any problem creating them from the models. Reading your posts a bit it looks like you just jumped in the deep end, well now you've found you can't swim it would be a good idea for you to do some of the tutorials and learn a bit about sketching and modeling. 

Try some of the hands on examples from these links.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?guid=GUID-4D32F515-A105-42A7-B4B9-20C756F9A7C9

http://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?guid=GUID-90EA4E12-EDB6-4F70-AA91-853735E4A50C

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
oldtbone55

Thanks for the advice Mark. I have actually been through the tutorials and done the examples. Guess I'll have to go over them again.

Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report