Community
Community Meet & Greet
Introduce yourself and meet the Autodesk Community. Network, create connections and build your reputation.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
259 Views, 3 Replies

Hello!

Greetings!

• I'm Maddie. I'm from Florida, but I'm moving to New Hampshire shortly. I'm a Mechanical Engineer looking to specialize in onboarding MEP firms to Revit, in the hopes of improving the working relationship between architect and engineer. The concept of unifying the workflow between disciplines to a single software is very promising.
  • I've been using Revit for a little over a year now at various firms, and I'd consider myself fairly proficient. I've also been getting Dynamo under my feet a bit lately. Still very much a newbie with AutoCAD, though!
  • I'm excited to see how Revit can be improved in the future - I get ideas every day from the engineers at my firm about how Revit can be made more accessible, more intuitive, and easier to learn. Mostly in the form of complaints, mind you, but it's better for problem-solving purposes to reinterpret that as a desire for improvement.

A more concrete example of something I'd like to work on in the coming years:

• Right now, the need for individual engineers to create Families from the ground up is very high. Most manufacturers do not provide high-quality or up-to-date BIM objects, especially not for smaller projects like residential design.
  • This places the burden on the engineer at the worst possible time, too; you need Families of your equipment to get started modelling at all, so you frustrate yourself making amateur errors in Family creation, and then have a shaky foundation for the rest of the project.
  • A good solution to this would be to find experienced Revit users who are also experienced engineers to make these Families in advance. 
  • The problem is that most equipment manufacturers aren't quite on board with this idea, or aren't aware of it. I think it could be profitable, done right. The marketing alone would be worth the yearly hours put into maintaining a basic Family database, but the engineers at my firm have expressed that they'd pay good money for a well-designed database of clean MEP equipment Revit Families. 

Anyways, that's all for my rant on Revit, haha. That's not exactly something Autodesk could tackle directly unless they made a lot of licensing deals! Better to handle that on a manufacturer level. 

If you made it this far, thanks for reading!

Labels (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
lynn_zhang
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous , welcome to Autodesk Community! 

My name is Lynn and I'm a Community Manager here at Autodesk. I enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for your introduction sharing so much about your professional experience, your observations in the industry, and the valuable feedback from many other engineers. I see you've already posted in our Revit product forums and joined the discussions, which is a great start!

To help you make the best out of the Community, we’ve put together a quick 1-2-3 getting started guide, which goes over the basics of how to post, rules and etiquette, and explains about our great Industry Communities, where the focus of conversations is typically workflow optimization, product interoperability, industry trends, connecting with like-minded peers and making industry connections, training resources, and more. Based on your experiences, I encourage you to check out the Architecture, Engineering and Construction (AEC) Community resources and start conversations with your peers in the industry.

Have fun exploring the Community and feel free to reach out if you have any questions! 🙂

Lynn Zhang
Community Manager

Message 3 of 4
Tiana_Y

Hi @Anonymous, 

Welcome to the community! My name is Tiana, I am the AutoCAD and Subscription Management Community Manager here at Autodesk. So if you have anything AutoCAD related please feel free to @ me or PM me, I am here to help! 🙂 

I currently live in New Hampshire as well! What part of the state are you moving to? Florida to here is a big change weather wise but the state is absolutely gorgeous! 

Best, 

Tiana

Tiana.D
Community Program Manager
Contact Autodesk Support

Message 4 of 4
Thomas_Savage

Hello @Anonymous 

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your time using the forum.

Also get all the information you need

Thomas.

Thomas Savage

Design Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report