Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why not keep commands consistent?

Why not keep commands consistent?

Why not keep commands consistent? It will help users remember the similar commands better. For example, I could hide the border of a xref pdf file by typing pdfframe and setting the system value to 0. However, I can't hide the border of the Wipeout with similar step. I have to employ the command WIPEOUT and select Frame, and then select Off. These two examples realize similar function, which is hiding border while printing, but the logic is much different. There are a lot of inconsistent command design in Civil 3D, Without optimization based on user experience, it will be confusing since there are numerous commands within the program 🙂

5 Comments
doni49
Mentor
What you've asked for already exists.

There's a system variable called ......... Wait for it .........

WIPEOUTFRAME and it works the same as PDFFRAME and IMAGEFRAME.
Marshall1260
Participant

Correct. There is that ..........

CADangrybird should also realize that Wipeout is a throwback from ancient AutoCAD and I don't think Autodesk is interested in updating old commands and routines.

Plus, when it comes to the inconsistencies between commands, understand that there are different groups/departments that work on the different pieces and parts of the AutoCAD/Civil 3D product.

Such as, look at the Styles of one entity as compared to another. In one Style, there may be a button to change a leader's color in a prominent location, where as in the other it may be a sub-button in a sub-menu. The logistics of putting together a complicated product like Civil 3D must be enormous.

MMcCall402
Mentor

These have all been consolidated into the FRAME system variable.

Frame controls the display of frames for all images, map images, underlays, clipped xrefs, and wipeout objects.

Changing the setting for FRAME changes the IMAGEFRAME, DWFFRAME, PDFFRAME, DGNFRAME, XCLIPFRAME, and WIPEOUTFRAME settings to the same setting as the new FRAME setting.

0 = The frame is not visible and it is not plotted. The frame temporarily reappears during selection preview or object selection. Find
1 = Displays and plots the frame.
2 = Displays but does not plot the frame.
3 = The settings vary for all objects with frames in the current drawing: images, underlays, clipped xrefs, and wipeout objects do not all have the same frame settings.

CADangrybird
Collaborator

I use a FRAME command and set the value to "0"

however, the border of my viewport is still plotted out. It may not help with viewport border.

MMcCall402
Mentor

Viewport borders are their own breed of animal.

I've always handled viewports by having a layer, "Viewport", set to not plot.  All viewports go on this layer.  Their contents plot but their borders will not.

You may want to set the viewport layer as the current layer when clipping a viewport.  I've had some instances where the edge of the clipped viewport inherited the properties of the current layer at the time the clipping was done and I wasn't able to correct it other than to unclip, chnage the current layer and reclip.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report