Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offset normal to Surface

Offset normal to Surface

This had been discussed so long that the original post aren't even archived.

We need the ability to offset a surface. Landfill caps and certain types of excavation or fill need to be calculated this way. I WAS doing this in AutoCAD back in the 90's using a program called QuickSurf. Fifteen years ago I tried to write a lisp to do this using the NOR function in the Geometry Calculator. But, not being a programmer, I never finished it. So I believe this it doable but I don't know how much work it would take.

Allen

61 Comments
AllenJessup
Mentor
Karsten.Saenger
Autodesk Support

Hi Allen,

is this about "growing" a surface, like a blowing up a ballon versus just offset it in z-direction, which is alread possible?

Technically said offset each surface triangle in direction of the normal vector.

I have quite a view request for such a function.

Regards,
Karsten.

AllenJessup
Mentor

Yes. Growing a surface. No. It's not possible yet.

Allen

Karsten.Saenger
Autodesk Support

Thanks! What I meant what is possible is to raise/lower the surface, which is only along the z-direction.

Karsten.

AllenJessup
Mentor

To Change the Elevation of a Surface
http://help.autodesk.com/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/Civil3D-UserGuide/files/GUID-DF02E0B2-851C-4A24-A470-910...

This area isn't meant for support. If you have any more questioins about this. Please post to the Civil 3D forum.

BernhardBicking
Participant

Hello @Anonymous,

The Funktion to offset DGM in perpendicular (not z) direction would be very helpful. But this feature does not exist. 

I wait for this about 7 Years.

The programmers are probably not able to make something challenging.

Spoiler
Smiley Wink

I (and many others) waiting.

martin.folber
Advocate

Hi guys,

this is must have feature when we calculate earthworks. Similar to AutoCAD Command SURFOFFSET or PUSH in 3DS Max

Thanks

Martin

BernhardBicking
Participant
We need more supporters to this advance to

B. Bicking
autoMick
Advisor

This issue has popped up in a few threads lately...

The objective is to map the perpendicular distance from one surface to another. This would be similar to a volume surface but the distance would be from the centre of each 'base' surface triangle and would be perpendicular (normal) to this triangle face. There could be a few options on how to represent these distances: e.g. 

- 'display at base surface'

- 'display at distance centre point'

- 'display at comparison surface'

Hopefully this makes sense.

- Mick

VCivil3D
Contributor

This would be wonderfull!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes this is a "must have"!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess I see the benefit of this but In most of my work a 3:1 slope is the maximum, and copying the surface down 1.06 feet ensures a minimum of 1' offset.  Or just copying down 1' gives a 0.948 minimum offset.

BernhardBicking
Participant
But that only works for constant upgrades. If there are Different slopes in a DGM no longer uses this approach.
Anonymous
Not applicable

has anyone solved this problem, trying to determine the surface after adding 2' of fill perpendicular to the current slope and not finding any easy way. Unless my surface is a constant slope, which it is not.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Who here is the best at calculus?

If I have a surface, and I know the average slope, can I use trig to calculate the vertical offset to mimic a true offset of one foot, like I did on 1-28-16 post?  I have to believe it will be close enough.

I prospector list the surface properties.  Under the Statistics tab and under Extended, it lists a Mean grade/slope.  If this slope is used as in m example above of 33.333%, a vertical copy of 1.06 feet is equivalent to a one foot offset.  This has to be close enough.

Anonymous
Not applicable

For planing waste disposal sites and heeaps it is necessary to raise and lower copies of dtms.

I know there are ways to lower and raise dtms, but what these functions do, is to lower an raise the z-ccordinate of a vertex.

What we need is, to be able to set up a thickness and therefore we have to offset the triangles.

Cheers, Frederic

troma
Mentor
Status changed to: Gathering Support

This is a duplicate with http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-ideastation/offset-normal-to-surface/idi-p/5671452 

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Sr. Product Manager

Autodesk, Inc.

scheel
Advocate

It may be that this is duplicate, but it's really important for dump/landfill management.

And there is nothing happened.

But over all it's a very good idea.

Cheers

Thorsten Scheel

Anonymous
Not applicable

I previously used Carlson's Civil Suite and it had this feature. I used  it often, predominantly in landfill applications. I'm surprised this feature is not available in C3D.  It woiuld be a very helpfull.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report