Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Part Swap

Multiple Part Swap

It would be very helpful to be able to swap multiple parts instead of having to do each individually.

38 Comments
Mike_Andrews
Explorer
This would be massively helpful for long pipe runs.

Many thanks

Mike Andrews
Senior CAD Technician

Tel: 0118 902 7828

Mott MacDonald Ltd
Sovereign House
Vastern Road
Reading
RG1 8BT
www.mottmac.com

Registered in England No. 1243967

The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
brent.moses
Enthusiast

First off I love these systems great addition!  Any chance that they might be able to incorporate part resizing and swapping?

Thanks

M_c3d
Advisor

The ability to swap multiple pipe network parts (both pipes and structures) would be a great addition

Status changed to: Implemented

We added a tool in Civil 3D 2017 v1 Enhancements to swap pressure networks pipes, fittings and appurtenances. In addition we added a tool to analyze and update gravity networks based on HEC-22 2009 standards.

Cheers, 

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

agentornge75
Enthusiast

Peter, 

This is fantastic news, and I'm elated!

The obvious follow up questions, if you will indulge me, please.

1. Civil 3D 2017 V1 Enhancements...is this a working name for SP1, or will this be included in Service Pack 1?

2. If yes, or if no to question 1, when will this feature be released to the user base?  I've just installed C3D2017 for internal testing and it's not currently an option.

Much Appreciated Sir.  Good Work!

Regards,

Greg Hatchette

BrianHailey
Mentor

@peterfunkautodesk

This has not been implemented. There is no way to swap multiple parts for a pipe network in the current version of Civil 3D (unless you're teasing us about something up and coming or I totally missed something). The v1 enhancements allow for swapping multiple parts on a pressure network but not for a pipe network which is what this idea concerns.

troma
Mentor

There are multiple ideas posted here. Some were identical ideas posted multiple times, others were different.

They are combined here under the original heading of "Multiple Part Swap" even though it looks like 'swap parts for pressure pipes' might have actually been posted more.

When @peterfunkautodesk originally combined these ideas as "duplicates", @agentornge75@hp_chan & @Tentie all posted that 'this is not the same idea'.

In reply, Peter posted:

I understand they are not the same thing. By calling the 2 "swap part" ideas duplicates of "swap multiple parts" it does two things: it doubles the number of kudos for swapping multiple parts and second it will remind us to make sure that any swap multiple parts tool works well swapping a single part.

Unfortunately this got forgotten again either in development or in the mistaken move to mark this idea as implemented. Either that or the request for multiple part swap for pipe networks was never actually understood in the first place.

Has swap multiple parts been implemented for pressure networks?

BrianHailey
Mentor

@troma yes it has but you need a hot fix and the v1 enhancements. 

https://civil3dplus.wordpress.com/2016/10/24/swap-pressure-network-parts-hotfix/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can we "un-implement" this idea Peter? The feature to swap multiple gravity pipe network parts has not been implemented. We're still waiting for this very basic feature to be implemented....

dsimeone
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

TimYarris
Autodesk

Hi everyone,

This week, we released Project Explorer for Civil 3D, which contains a variety of tools to make navigating and editing a Civil 3D drawing more efficient. One of the many productivity tools included in Project Explorer is the ability to swap multiple pipe network parts.

Watch this video (at approximately 2:20) to see how to swap parts using Project Explorer.

Note swapping multiple pressure network parts has been available since Civil 3D 2017 v1 Enhancements (which was subsequently rolled into Civil 3D 2018).

Thank you for providing details about this idea!

TimYarris
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hi everyone,

This week, we released Project Explorer for Civil 3D, which contains a variety of tools to make navigating and editing a Civil 3D drawing more efficient. One of the many productivity tools included in Project Explorer is the ability to swap multiple pipe network parts.

Watch this video (at approximately 2:20) to see how to swap parts using Project Explorer.

Note swapping multiple pressure network parts has been available since Civil 3D 2017 v1 Enhancements (which was subsequently rolled into Civil 3D 2018).

TimYarris
Autodesk

TimYarris
Autodesk

Hi everyone,

When will this be implemented in Civil 3D?

This was implemented in the AEC Collection and NOT Civil 3D.

ceethreedee.com
Collaborator

@Civil3DReminders_com and @TimYarris it is possible to do this without project explorer..

See C3d pluses helpful video here, you can use the "_AECCANALYSENETWORK" command and then switch multiples from there.. (i guess you can only do it per network, still faster than doing it one by one.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJgjW4nHzTc&ab_channel=C3DPlus

@ceethreedee.com

This just proves that Autodesk creates crappy, hard-to-use products by design. They obviously have the code to make the "Swap Part" command into a "Swap Parts" command, but don't seem to have the technical expertise to make it happen. 

Which way is more efficient?

• Going straight to a "Swap Parts" command (that replaces the "Swap Part" command)

OR

• Doing the operation of running the "Swap Part" command, realize it only does one at a time, do an internet search, find 3rd party apps, try to get the boss to pay for them, get denied, do another google search, find out you can do it in a workaround method, then try to teach all of your coworkers in how to do the workaround method.

I don't recommend people buy Autodesk software for these easy-to-implement solutions that are ignored by Autodesk if they can inflict costly inefficient workarounds on their customers.  

ceethreedee.com
Collaborator

@Civil3DReminders_com  the rage is real... can't say i disagree with you though.. 

I do hate Autodesk's trail blazing development style. On the whole there pretty great products, but for advanced users we frequently run into little productivity road blocks like this one. 

They just accumulate and accumulate until your purple in the face.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report