Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generating surfaces from 3D solids in Civil 3D.

Generating surfaces from 3D solids in Civil 3D.

Would it be possible to add feature in Civil 3D that will allow users to generate top/bottom surface from 3D solid?

10 Comments
f_furger
Advocate

I support this idea! This would be a very good feature.

TimYarris
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Thank you for your idea. The development team will review the idea while customers continue to add feedback and vote on it.

peter.petschek
Enthusiast

Good idea, very important! An automatic transfer to Revit would be important.

VCivil3D
Contributor

It would be awesome. Currently I need to use a workaround with 3ds Max to achieve this, selecting the solid’s top and bottom triangles, then exporting it back to Civil 3D. It’s quite a pain and manual labor.

peter.petschek
Enthusiast
Hi,

We are using a real good Dynamo Script in Revit for the C3D surface extrusion.
Send me an e-mail and I can connect you with the developper of the script.
You might need to pay him a bit, but it is definately worth.

My mail adress: peter.petschek(at)ost.ch

Greetings,

Peter
tiedemannsonb571
Community Visitor

You can create an AutoCAD solid from a TIN surface. The solid that is generated is based on the surface triangles and the surface border.

Select a TIN surface in the drawing or click Modify tab Ground Data panel Surface to display the Surface contextual ribbon.
Click Surface contextual tab Surface Tools panel Extract From Surface drop-down Extract Solids From Surface Find.
In the Extract Solid [From] the Surface dialog box, select a TIN surface to use as the basis for the solid.
Note: TIN surfaces and TIN volume surfaces can be selected. TIN volume surfaces that you want to use must be comprised of TIN surfaces. If you select a TIN volume surface, the Vertical Definition options are grayed out and unavailable for selection. The solid will be created using the base surface and comparison surface that is defined in the volume surface.
Specify the Vertical Definition and Drawing Output settings to use for the solid and then click Create Solid.
The solid is created in the current drawing or in the specified new drawing.

ThomasBHansen_
Enthusiast

I`m using a plugin that does JUST that, but i would be very pleased to have it as a in-program-feature!

I also have a plugin that allows me to push any object from Navisworks straight to Civil 3D. This object is a mesh by default, so I convert the mesh in C3D by just clicking "convert" and now I have a 3D-Solid. Often it is very handy to generate a TIN from bottom/top of this object.  I use this generated TIN to:  easily spot elevations/check slopes/ helping surfaces for target gradings/ extract boundaries just to mention a few things.

There is no Navisworks idea station but PLEASE give us the option to push objects form Navis to Civil. It will revolutionize the way you work with IFC/REVIT/SKETCHUP in Civil 3D.  Just bring in the few objects you need. Like a walll, a floor, or a doorstep that you need to connect/snap to in C3D 🙂

@tiedemannsonb571 He wants the function to work the other way around. Solid -> TIN 🙂

f_furger
Advocate

Hello @ThomasBHansen_ 

Thank u for your answer! Could i have the name of the tool so i could test this 😀?

peter.petschek
Enthusiast
ThomasBHansen_
Enthusiast

Hello @f_furger 

Im using a paid-for plugin by Focus Software (Norwegian plugin) to do the "Solid to TIN" convertion in Civil.  Here is a short video of the funtion. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report