Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freezing Civ3d

Freezing Civ3d

I would like to have the ability to freeze Civ3d components (not just the object layer).

Example:

I have a surface. The style has the major and minor contours on different layers. When I try to freeze a minor contour a 'selection cycling' dialogue pops up asking if I want to freeze the objects layer, or the component layer. So, then I can choose to freeze the entire surface, or just the minor contour layer.

~Andy

5 Comments
rkmcswain
Mentor

You've always been able to do this.

If your surface object is on layer "C-TOPO", and your major contours are on layer "C-TOPO-MAJR", and your minor contours are on "C-TOPO-MINR" - you can freeze "C-TOPO-MAJR" to freeze the major contours, and "C-TOPO-MINR" to freeze the minor contours.

If you are talking about the LAYFRZ command, that is an AutoCAD command and it doesn't know anything about Civil 3D objects.  

awkeller88
Advocate

Yea, I'm talking about the LAYFRZ command. I guess I could probably write the lisp myself to redefine the function.

rkmcswain
Mentor

It's a double edged sword....

Since it's the AutoCAD team's function, they don't know (or frankly care) about if it works with Civil 3D, Plant 3D, etc.

On the other hand, if the Civil 3D team writes a function to handle this, then you've got two commands from which to decide when it comes time to use it.

I'd just create a toolbar button to freeze the appropriate layers.

awkeller88
Advocate

Fair enough. I might as well just set all the style layers to layer 0 and be done with it. Manage their appearance in the style leave them all on the object layer.

~Andy

rkmcswain
Mentor

Another similar situation is the LAYMRG command. If you merge layers in a C3D drawing and merge a layer used in a style, the command proceeds as normal, but when you go into an affected style, you'll see this:

val6.png

Then when you run an AUDIT, you'll get something like this:

aud9.png

Another case where a core AutoCAD command is not aware of the differences in a vertical app. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report